Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

phew! Diolch Gareth! Good to know the little grey cells still work to full capacity every now and then! :joy:

1 Like

Quite so. When it’s Ga i…? + VN, you’re saying Will I be allowed to…? (or Will I get to…?), and when it’s Ga i…? + noun, you’re saying Will I get…?

3 Likes

Ai’ch plant chi ydy’r rheina? with voice emphasis on the chi.

The Ai is often dropped in speech, however, since the tone of the sentence makes it clear it’a question. So this is also fine:

Eich plant chi ydy’r rheina?

1 Like

Yes - but a focused sentence only.

I’m assuming, at 36, that I’m close in age to your “very grown up” children, but I would never say “Can I get…?” in a café. It’s a horrible Americanism and I think it sounds quite rude. If I were the waiter I’d reply with “I don’t know, can you?” :smiley: But then I doubt I’d keep my job very long!

I tend to go with “Could I have…?” or “May I have…?”

On the same subject, I’m in Pembrokeshire in a fortnight’s time, and “Ga i…” is my best chance of using some Welsh, as I’m not likely to get a complicated reply! By the way, what is the Welsh for “latte”?

So if your neighbours knock on the door and ask for a parcel that’s been left for them and you ask your partner:

“Oes gynnon ni barcel (for) drws nesa?"

Would it be:
Ar gyfer
i
Am
?

3 Likes

Diolch @garethrking am the clarification about am and ar gyfer, that’s very helpful. (Did you see what I did there? :wink::slight_smile: )

I’m interested in the answer to @AnthonyCusack’s question as well.

And here’s one more, regarding

in the Southern course we learned

Ifê eich plant chi yw rheina?

What is the difference between using Ai and using Ifê? Regional, or something else?

2 Likes

Ah - I came across the answer to that in an old post about “Ai” (when I was actually searching for something else). Yes, it’s regional.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, Richard! :slight_smile:

It would be ar gyfer, though i is not wrong. Definitely not am.

4 Likes

Regional - ifê is very typically southern. Unheard of on the Martian moon of Deimos, original homeworld of the gogs.

6 Likes

Ffantastig!! That is what I said and then doubted myself later :smile:

1 Like

I thought that “au” being read “ai” (or a-ee, I don’t know how to write sounds for mostlyEnglish readers, sorry) was a sure thing. At least at the end of words.

This morning I took some time to have a look vocabulary lists for the first challenges and noticed that what I heard as “dechri” (dech-ree) (in Southern Accent) is actually written “dechrau”.

One of my very few pillars of Welsh is already tumbling down… :smiley:

you’ll also hear it pronounced ‘dechra’ - it’s very common for vowels and dipthongs to change sound in different dialects. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yyyyyyyyy, dunno, sorry - trying to figure out English->Welsh equivalence gives me a headache - I’m usually either operating in Welsh or in English - I do very little code-switching (much less than Catrin, who can cheerfully do alternate sentences without blood trickling out of her ears) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh then no rule is the way to go? :scream::joy:

So just curious, saying dechra-ee is probably right somewhere in Wales?

Yup, it’s fine - sounds a little formal to me, but might not to some others… :slight_smile:

1 Like

5 pounds for a pint in London is cheap!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

How do you render “All Saints” in Welsh (as in a church name or the religous feast)?

Dydd Gŵyl yr Holl Saint appears to be the religious feast.

1 Like