Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

:blush:

4 Likes

Siaron so sorry but I have spelt your name wrongly.

2 Likes

Yes and no - I’ve been spelling it with an i for the last couple of decades but on ‘official’ stuff it’s technically still spelt with an h :wink:

Besides, I’m used to that. It’s things like getting called Simon by a work contact (as happened recently) that I tend to notice more! :laughing:

3 Likes

And not just people.

Welsh verb tables haunt me in my dreams. But that’s Welsh verb tables for you. :open_mouth:

7 Likes

Me again - Is it correct to say dw i’n mynd i ddewis mwyr duon?

Or is blackberries mierch duon? Conflicting information from dictionary vs Google.

Diolch yn fawr pawb eto x

The Welsh for blackberries is “mwyar duon” :slight_smile:
meirch are stallions or steeds - no idea why google would give you that, but that’s google translate for you!

(see what I did there?! :grinning:)

9 Likes

@siaronjames haha Diolch x

1 Like

I see the forum sorta enjoyed my question. :wink: :smile:

That’s great, now I have a whole list of examples now!

8 Likes

Oh very good Siaron - ti ar dân heddiw, on’d wyt? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Talking to myself, as you do, I wondered how would I say “they knew once you say something it’s easier to say something else”. I thought perhaps " taswch chi siarad rwybeth unwaith, baswch chi yn Hawt I siarad rwybeth eto"?
Also what is going on with the road sign “pan welwch golau coch sefwch yma”
Translation on the sign reads “when the red light shows wait here”. My question is does the welwch agree with the sefwch or is something else happening? But why is the tense a command?

Yes, welwch corresponds with sefwch, quite correct. However, it is not a command: in Welsh, there is no need to have a subject personal pronoun, if it is clear from the context. Welwch is the same as welwch chi…

I would say something like “ar ol i chi ddweud rhywbeth, bydd yn haws i ddweud rhywbeth arall”, but there are so many ways…

1 Like

Thanks that makes sense. Quite proud of myself for noticing!

3 Likes

Here you go: https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/how-to-make-mistakes/12437

I was able to find it using a google search specifically on this forum.

6 Likes

Thanks for finding it Stephen, and thanks for the tip about using Google search on the forum too.

1 Like

No problem. For those who don’t know, you can search a specific site (this forum, for example) by entering the following in the google search box:

site:forum.saysomethingin.com

followed by the search term. So to search for the word “caerdydd” on just these forum pages:

site:forum.saysomethingin.com caerdydd
4 Likes

“Five go to Wales” (in the style of Enid Blyton’s “The Famous Five”).

Is this “Mae pump yn mynd i Gymru” or is there a punchier way or writing it? Can I get away without the “mae” or does the whole thing cease to make sense? I ask because I make a photobook of our annual holiday, and this year we went to Pembrokeshire (and encountered virtually no Welsh speakers…) so I need a title!

2 Likes

It would be a fairly common short-cut to go for something like ‘Pump yn mynd i Gymru’… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, thanks

1 Like

The South half of Pembs, South of the “Landsker Line” has a reputation of being non-Welsh speaking. However, I understand that Welsh is taking off there now (or at least starting to). Strangely, I have been fortunate to have recently had a real extended Welsh conversation with a first language speaker from the area. Also the S Pembs firm that he works for are in the habit of sneaking a bit of Welsh into their e-mails. However, I guess that you are right in that you will probably have to be fortunate to hear a lot of Welsh on the street. On the plus side, it is one of my favourite scenic areas.

2 Likes

Shwmae
Technical question here.
Most often I use my mobile for the challenges but I’d like to also use the laptop, however, progress that is recorded in the app is not replicated on the computer. Is there a way to synchronise the two please?
Thanks in advance
Karen

2 Likes