Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

RIght - perhaps we need the context.

Otherwise this could be Siaron 1-0 Gareth !

And I will have to have you killed. Obviously.

4 Likes

(Painlessly. I’m not a monster…)

1 Like

@Toffidil seems to think the context suggests a positive statement, so maybe I should move, change my name, and buy a blonde wig. :scream:

Oh wait, I already own a blonde wig. I knew it would come in handy some time. :joy:

:wink:

3 Likes

Looks like it could be either:
a dros ‘y nghrogi, symo i’n mynd i gyrraedd Oed yr Addewid gyda’n handicap i mewn double figures

I’m wondering if it could be: a dros ‘y nghrogi smo: " Ill be hanged, if (that) I reach…"
or
symio: …I reckon that
or
Symo:… I dont
ill be hanged if I dont get to retirement …

Anyway, I’ll be watching this space, :slight_smile:

??

1 Like

Context looks clearly positive, although I’m hazy on some of the details, so I’d start making plans if I were you:

A wy’n gwbod yn iawn, ar ôl cyfnod gatre’n magu’r crwt bach hwn, y byddi di’n nôl unryw ddydd nawr - a dros ‘y nghrogi, symo i’n mynd i gyrraedd Oed yr Addewid gyda’n handicap i mewn double figures; felly rwy’ wedi penderfynu rhoi’r twls ar y bar.

Hmm. Looks plausible… I’m going to cheat and have a look at the same passage in the English language script now…

Spoiler

Ooh, close! “and I’m damned if I’m going to turn sixty with my handicap still in double figures.”

Looks like Siaron 0, Gareth 0, John 1 to me! :smile:

1 Like

I’m liking Siaron’s - I reckon here and to me a non literal translation of dros ‘y nghrogi’ feels like - I’ll be damned - or over my dead body sort of thing.?

1 Like

But if dros 'y nghrogi functions in the sentence as ‘for the life of me’ 'rather than ‘over my dead body’, then it could be looking better for me!

Over my dead body am I going to reach that age

but

For the life of me I’m not going to reach that age

Oh this is such fun!! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Bendith is a Welsh word that means bless or blessing.

2 Likes

Ma hynny’n taro deuddeg a chi ‘di taro’r’ ol ar ei chlopa- fel arfer.

(Hoping that means- “that strikes the right note and you’ve hit the nail on the head - as usual” )

2 Likes

What’s the difference between amser and adeg?

amser is time in a more general sense (and the word that is used most commonly for most concepts of time). adeg is time as in a period of time.

examples - es i i dosbarthiadau cadw heini amser maith yn ôl (I went to keep fir classes a long time ago) / roeddwn i’n llawer iachach yr adeg honno! (I was much healthier at the time)

3 Likes

I don’t hear adeg very much and can’t remember the last time I did to be honest - is it more common in some dialects than others?

I hear other slightly different meaning words for expressing different periods of time, like oes, cyfoes, tro, ar y pryd, even cyfnod etc quite often, but never adeg.

I can’t really say, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you suddenly do start noticing it popping up now - it’s often the way! (Like the old adage about buses - nothing for ages, then loads at once! :wink:)

4 Likes

Yes, you’re right and I know what you mean - it always seems to happen like that - everyone on Radio Cymru tomorrow will be using it like it’s going out of fashion.

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks for the details.
Although now I notice on top of the page, that…there’s also Cyfnod, Gwaith, Pryd and Tro!

1 Like

Yes - nobody could ever accuse Welsh of not having enough words for ‘time’, could they? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Definitely not!! :slight_smile:

Actually this is the kind of things that I find more fascinating about learning languages.
Having many words for defining something allows people to express different nuances of the same concept.
Which sometimes is probably what allows them to perceive these nuances.
And then perception influences ideas and thoughts.

Et cetera (until I get lost) :smiley:

2 Likes