Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

“Lle gest ti dy fagu?” I think.

5 Likes

“lle gest ti dy fagu?” (where were you brought up?) would be the best one here, although you could also say “o ble wyt ti’n dod yn wreiddiol?” (where are you from originally) - adding the ‘originally’ would distinguish it from “where are you from” with an implied “now”. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just putting my little knowledge to test - @Bleddyn, don’t trust me! :joy:

I was wondering. If “tyfu lan” is to grow up
Would “o ble wyt ti wedi tyfu lan” make any sense?

2 Likes

Can you say ble ot ti’n tyfu lan (i fyny) or ble wnest ti tyfu lan (i fyny)?

2 Likes

yes, tyfu lan is to grow up, so you could use that, although as I understand it, using magu works better/more naturally in Welsh (less of a direct idiom translation from English).

“o ble wyt ti wedi tyfu lan” isn’t quite the right tense though (lit. from where have you grown up). “Lle nest ti dyfu lan” (where did you grow up) is the one - but well done for testing yourself and putting that together, although not quite right, people would have understood what you meant, so you’re going in the right direction! :grinning:

edited to add - @Toffidil you posted before I got my answer out, but hope it answers your question too!

5 Likes

wow thanks for the responses!

Glad to hear that! :slight_smile:

But wait. I was focusing on the verbs, and didn’t pay attention to this:
why “lle” not “ble”?
(or why “ble” just in case it’s a matter of mutations, the other way round…since I usually can’t really understand which is the “original”)

Lle in the North. Ble yn y De😀

Also regarding your datblygi/datblogi, its just how some regions bend their vowels :grimacing:. Same for Odi instead of Ydy.

Also happens in English. Eg in NE England and also Cardiff for some reason, the a sound is sort of ae. Like air. I dont think we changed. Just kept our old sound when everyone else went posh.

Just thought of this as I typed a business email with Hevn’t instead of Havn’t. :grimacing:

2 Likes

feel i’ve met my welsh language nemesis…i’m having a nightmare with subordinate and relative clauses, just cannot get this structure into my head! i don’t think there’s a quick answer to this haha, but has anyone else felt the same way and overcome it? it would give me hope if nothing else.

1 Like

Mmm… if you could chuck a couple of examples at me I’ll try and get my head around them… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have noticed similarities between how Welsh and Irish operate in this area. Will subsequent Manx lessons tackle some of this stuff (?), cos that will all help.

1 Like

it’s the general idea, rather than specific examples. i’ve got a dyslexic memory, so unless information is presented very succinctly or broken down into chunks i can process, i’m lost! usually i adapt my approach and do this myself, but i’m finding it impossible with these structures as they are information heavy and this is my third stab at it! - guess i’ll have to dal ati @aran, if you see me out and about looking confused and distracted, wringing my hands and nashing my teeth…you’ll know why!

3 Likes

Thing is, as soon as you say ‘subordinate and relative clauses’ in English my brain starts limping - with enough time and a good run up I could probably get somewhere near it, but if you can dig out a couple of examples at some point, I’ll be able to help tidy them up - and in most cases you’ll find that half a dozen examples will be enough to make a real difference to your confidence… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i know! it’s joining up long sentences with small link words such as that, who, whose, if, whether…argh my brain feels fried! i’ll get some examples together, thanks loads!

2 Likes

Also Le in many parts of the De.

Le ych chi wedi bod? - Where have you been?

4 Likes

Yr Eidal is like the Italy, right?
But do I always have to keep yr?
Dw i’n dod o yr Eidal doesn’t sound good.
Dw i’n dod o 'r Eidal?

Also, how would you say that something is as…as, or less/more…(than)?

Like learning Welsh is easier than I thought, although writing is more complicated and pronunciation as easy/difficult as any other European language?

1 Like

Yup, this one… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

‘Cymaint â’ = ‘as much as’ - and I think ‘as little as …’ would be ‘cyn lleiaf â …’

3 Likes

mor…â… - as…as…

llai…na… - less…than…

mwy…na…. - more…than… OR -ach…na… - (depending on how short the adjective is)

mor ddrud â choffi - as expensive as coffee
llai drud na choffi - less expensive than coffee
drutach na choffi - more expensive than coffee

7 Likes

Hi again chrome_angel,
I’ve been continuing to think of your problem and empathise with you (at least I imagine I am empathising, at least I am trying to understand and tune in to the source of the pain and confusion with you).

I hate listening back to my efforts to participate on the 6mws hangouts. Often - as in 112b - I’ve just got into the house, still wet through from the storm outside, and I find myself whinnying and braying disconnected words rather than producing beautiful constructions such as all the others in the grŵp sgŵrs were doing that night. Dim ots, I tell myself, at least I was there, struggling.

I know I need to be doing more practice in and revision of constructing sentences, ready to calmly come at expressing what I want to say in Welsh, when in a hangout… letting the right construction come to mind instead of getting caught in the mistake of translating from English.

I have no criticisms whatever of the challenges at levels 1 & 2 in SSiW. Those I notice doing particularly well speaking eloquently in Hangouts have often done some years in traditional classes, or have had some immersion in Welsh even as non-speakers, or in their childhood. They are bound to be drawing on vocab and constructions they have come across before or simultaneously with SSiW. Well, I have temporarily given up Duolingo, or put it on the back burner. I am going for learning songs so as to get comfortable with production of those sounds I find hard. I want now to focus again on building longer sentences. Like @aran I really hate grammar terms, and tables laying out patterns ought to help, but they do not.

For that reason I am glad that I found Y Chwiliadur Iaith. I have not used it enough to feel confident to recommend it, but perhaps you can go somewhere and browse it in a library without purchasing it, and see if it helps to quell your anxiety and frustration as it does mine…

The book is blue, black and grey on white paper. Calming.

Minimum English. Some basic grammar terms are used, It gives an overview. It is all that I want. Its examples are good. It supplies useful phrases as vocabulary to introduce things you might want to say in a more formal way, but it starts the topic of sentences with the simplest…

In the examples, I recognise easily what the challenges at level 1&2 of the SSiW (in my case the 6mws) course have been teaching me. Mostly it is reassuring that there is a place here I can come back to for a recap in written form, as opposed - in addition to, but differently so - to the recaps that happen periodically in the series of challenges.

From the contents pages: see
Brawddegau (3 sections) &
Ysgrifennu brawddegau hirach

From the Index on the next page notice where bod appears…

Here is a photo from the Writing longer sentences/ Ysgrifennu brawddegau hirach where it becomes apparent that this is not a text aimed at Gogs, so I am not sure whether I should be writing lle in these places where ble is used, but that is what I’d have a go at doing, anyway!

I hope, angel, that this is of interest, and that you can browse books such as this one to see if that either helps quell your confusion (i.e. the info is out there) or helps you refine your question by raising a specific example or two for aran or others to help you with…

Pob lwc, and in friendship,
Lorna x