Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Gareth’s big grammar book has a full list - a fair amount of the book is on google books actually, if you search. (not that I would discourage you from buying the actual book :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

Ieeee, sorry…I had a look at (a few) Grammar books, but they’re just shocking! - they gave me the impression I’ll never be able to speak Welsh fluently, so I’m going to stay away from them for a while longer

However I had tried to see “would” on the Modern Welsh Dictionary - that works just fine - but a few forms were missing.
Just now I realized they could be, and actually were, under “bod”. I still have to figure out a bit how to search things on books, forum and google and get clear results! Sorry! :grimacing:

2 Likes

I did warn you to wait until after you had completed level 3 :smiley: :wink: Seriously, get Gareths Welsh Grammar after the challenges. It’s not ultra cheap, but not that expensive and great as a special present. I’ve got it on Kindle reader (on my PC). You can just search on a word or idea. In the meantime, heres a freebie from the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/learnwelsh/grammar/index.shtml

2 Likes

No, you MUST drop the pwy in that sentence - because pwy is only a question word, never a relative (in English ‘who’ is both, which is what causes confusion for learners sometimes).

Dyna’r ferch sy’n byw’n agos at yr ysgol

3 Likes

:flushed:

I stand corrected. How’d I do with the rest?

2 Likes

Apart from the pwy I loved it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oi, you’re meant to be on honeymoon, not talking about grammar! :scream:

8 Likes

Good point well made, @aran:confused:

3 Likes

I just want to make sure he at least gets home before the divorce proceedings start… :smiley: :laughing:

4 Likes

Well obviously. It’s the decent thing…

1 Like

Talking about honeymoons … Why is Welsh Mis Mél? Honey month?! :open_mouth: (how to do circumflex on Mel?)

For an ê you can try “alt 0234” (hold the “alt” key and use the number pad for 0234). Or for any Welsh character (including ŵ and ŷ) you can try “Typeit” online to type anything and then copy it into here. If you’re using a phone (android anyway, I don’t know about i-phone) you might look for the Welsh keyboard at “Literatim” (search in the play store)

Well . . . months and moons are often interchangeable in language. Months and moon cycles seem to be almost the same length so many cultures count time by “moons” rather than months . . . (my guess, anyway)

2 Likes

( On an iPhone/ iPad you can hold the letter e.g. ‘e’ and it will show you all the accented options in a pop-up - which you can then choose from. )

I don’t know about smartphones/tablets/iPads etc (not got those!), but on my computer I use the To Bach software https://www.bangor.ac.uk/cymorthcymraeg/to_bach.php.en

3 Likes

Or for a to bach on a Mac, hold alt and press ‘i’ before selecting your vowel (English vowels only! :roll_eyes:)!

2 Likes

I think mentioned before but Tó Bach software only gives gravé ón my keyboard. Possibly because it’s Windows 10?

I use To Bach with Windows 10. You have to use the Alt key on the right hand side of the keyboard, it’s not the same as the one on the left (who knew? :slight_smile: ) So ctrl-RIGHT alt-w gives ŵ, ctrl-RIGHT alt-y gives ŷ, etc. See if that works for you!

Edited to add: I’m in the US so this may only apply to certain keyboards.

2 Likes

I ordered a bilingual Welsh/English book, The Crocodile who didn’t like Water, from Gomer Press, in mid-August. I have never ordered internationally before. They have charged my account, but I have not received the book. What is the normal time span.
Tried to call, but no clue how to call from Chicago
to Wales.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Cathy

Ugh! Frustrating. If I’m trying to be 100% accurate, I will copy and paste. HA!

We’re currently on a coach ride back from Piopiotahi (the absolutely stunning Milford Sounds), Emma found your comment very funny @aran.

Mis mêl and honeymoon are identical. The story comes from the old tradition of giving newlyweds a bottle of mead (a supposed natural aphrodisiac) and a month to, well, you know…consummate.

3 Likes