Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Absolutely true. Actually, I don’t know anything about Italian’s preference for languages based on tonal quality. I’m agreeing that I think French, Italian, Spanish are some of the most pleasant sounding languages. Even cursing is like playing with fine silk! I was surprised when I first heard the word for Daughter in Cymraeg ‘merch.’ The ‘ch’ is very hard for something that I don’t perceive as being hard. Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoy playing with the language.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this has any truth in it, but I read a long time ago that Saesneg was a way of describing how the English language was irritating and annoying to the ears of the native Britons with all it’s hissing “s” sounds. ssssssneg.

4 Likes

I’m afraid as kids we used to call them ‘squashed fly biscuits’ (with a bit of imagination the currants looked like the remains of flies) …

6 Likes

Us too!

2 Likes

Well, based on the Wikipedia article that Richard Buck posted above, variations of that name were fairly common for those!

1 Like

What would “squashed fly biscuits” translate to in Welsh, and would it be recognised as fond, affectionate, community-building “teasing tone” or might it be seen as dismissive alone?

Now there’s a question! I’ll make a stab at bisgedi gwybed wedi gwasgu for “squashed fly biscuits”, but no idea about the second part of the question - maybe calling them that would simply result in some very strange looks… :slight_smile:

1 Like

:face_with_hand_over_mouth::wink::sweat_smile::joy::rofl::crazy_face::sunglasses::nerd_face::face_with_monocle::black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿:black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿:black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿:black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿:butterfly::butterfly::butterfly::butterfly::bug::bug::bug::bug:

1 Like

:welsh_flag:

Regarding the mid-challenge breather interlude and also the congrats at the end of each challenge - Does anyone else find themselves starting to translate these into Welsh? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes!

Yes, all the time!
Then often comes the “hey, I don’t remember these words from previous challenges, why is he using them?”.
Then I realize. :rofl:

4 Likes

Quick prounounciation question please…

CREU - Create

Is this prounounced as:
CREE (as in English CRE - ate)
CRY (as in English CRY - ing)
CRAY (as in English CRA - te)

Hope thats clear!
Diolch o galon!
Dai.

CRAY (as in English CRA - te)
well, more or less… the ‘ay’ sound is slightly ‘darker’ than the English ‘ay’ (I have no idea how to explain it better than that)

3 Likes

Even just for fun - I learnt it from my first pronunciation tutor :grin:.
@DaiRoberts If you’d like to give it a listen, it goes: “dyn, sydd wedi creu (…)” and once more soon after.
By the way there’s a lot of words in this song I enjoy pronouncing and were quite tricky to learn in a sequence and at that speed!

3 Likes

Just something that crossed my mind:
I’m guessing that we’ve dropped the 1st neu from a choice, ie don’t need it these days?

As in
(Pa un) Rwyt ti isiau neu te neu goffee -> Rwyt ti isiau te neu goffee
Meaning
(Which) do you want: tea or coffee

I’m guessing (but would be glad of confirmation) that you could still have neu de neu goffi if you meant the equivalent of English “either… or…”

1 Like

Haven’t come across this pattern myself… you will hear/see ‘unai x neu y’… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s usually naill ai…neu…

Or (as @aran indicated) un ai…neu…

5 Likes

Diolch @gisella-albertini , that’s very helpful, perffaith! :smiley:

3 Likes