Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

It is tricky, yes @gisella-albertini . When you turn I have into I used to have, you have to incorporate o’n i’n arfer (because that’s how you say I used to…). O’n i’n arfer in turn requires a following VN, so we are having to rephrase as I was used to being with long hair - and in answer to your query about why â and not 'da: in the normal possession construction (i.e. with mae + gyda/gan), it’s the possessed thing that is the subject of the verb. Mae gwallt hir 'da fi - (lit. There is long hair with me) - but with the O’n i’n arfer… construction, it’s the possessor that’s the subject of the verb: O’n i’n arfer bod… I used to be… - and generally we say bod â… for be with… But you wouldn’t (quite) be shot for saying bod 'da…, I don’t imagine. Though it does sound odd.

Does that help at all? :confused:

ALWAYS, by the way, think of cael as meaning receive. :wink:

9 Likes

Always do this, @helenlindsay :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, thanks a lot!
Actually cael, just like @helenlindsay said, it’s very clear.
O’n i’n arfer + bod is now clear.
I just got slightly lost on how 'da became â - but in fact bod 'da sounds so ugly that I’m sure it’s enough of a reminder to use â instead, so I’ll be fine! :smiley:

3 Likes

Well, it has to comply with the thythm of the “song” which it does but that “o gwbl” comes at the end so “violently” to my ears. :slight_smile:

Here’s the recording of those 2 lines I’ve posted here earlier

Oh my! That answered a lot of questions for me, too!!

2 Likes

I don’t know on what music it’s supposed to fit exactly, but I would suggest, as always, a listen to how my unaware pronunciation tutor :grin: says it here, just i case… :wink:

2 Likes

Good! :slight_smile:

The rhythm is in the recording and there is not any particular music but just rhythm. Which actually means that the genre is rap/hiphop. But if this is not clear, here are these two last rows incorporated into the “music”.

But I think @delawarejones and you @gisella-albertini already gave me assurance that this will just do so I’ve made a recording although this “o gwbl” still sounds a bit agressive but it’s probably just on my to rap it a bit less agressively though. :slight_smile:

Thank you all who came to aid me. Diolch.

Whyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I finally get it now. :slight_smile:

That’s easy for you to say! :wink:

2 Likes

It doesn’t really seem aggressive to me. A bit too rushed, maybe?

If you like it, you should just go for it, though. :wink:

If you have doubts - one thing you might try is just practicing it with a slower tempo until you can pronounce every single word and syllable really clear and loose and smooth. And then speed it up again until you’re able to keep that feel. And see if it sounds better. Maybe not, but it’s all for the fun, right? :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do you write a present-participal clause with an implied subject? Something like:

“Walking through the forest, I saw a bear”?

“Yn cerdded trwy’r goedwig, welais i arth”?

Or is there no “yn”? Or is it an entirely different structure all together? Diolch!

I would go for “Wrth gerdded trwy’r goedwig, welais i arth”

5 Likes

Thanks @Deborah-SSi! “Wrth” is one of those words that I’m not very comfortable with as it seems to creep up a lot in idioms.

1 Like

Llefrith or Llaeth for milk? Is this a southern/northern thing?

1 Like

yes, it is a N/S thing (llefrith = N, llaeth = S), but you can just use whichever you find easiest to remember - you don’t have to swap from one to the other depending where in Wales you are :wink: (I’ve even caught myself using both in the same sentence before now :laughing: )

3 Likes

Yes, It’s all for the fun! For now I’m curious if I can get my idea to life and if I manage you’ll hear more about it for sure.

Thank you. Good idea because all (first verse) was composed and recorded in about an hour or so.

1 Like

I was a big John Peel fan back in the 80’s and listened often but sadly the likes of Datblygu escaped my attention. Better late than never I suppose. Diolch. :+1:

2 Likes

Ah Diolch Siaron.
I’ve always known it to be llaeth, but seen llefrith in a welsh learners book today. So I asked two welsh speakers in work today (both south) and they said they have never heard of llefrith before.
Maybe it was the way I was pronouncing it.

Don’t worry Scott - I guarantee there are people in the North who have never heard of a disgled o de either :wink:

7 Likes