Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I don’t really know how Central/East European ne sounds!
If you mean like Russian nyet (not sure how to write it), then no - very different!
And not nigh either.

It was pretty much like Italian né…né (that hear means neither…nor).
Or like Phil’s nay (that’s how I always heard neu pronounced) - but without the y!

1 Like

Yes thats it, like ble or lle. But some people pronounce it like high or hi.

1 Like

Am i going mad or did the South Wales course previously say

I need =Mae ishio I fi

And now it says Mae eisiau I fi. I swear this is the case.

1 Like

I think the one with the o is prob N Wales. However its the same word, just pronounced differently. Also you might hear ishai fi. All good fun :grimacing:

In north
Dw i angen = I need
Dw i isio =. I want
Nor sure about South but looked at first challenge South and it’s moyn for want and eisiau for need.
But of course there may be other variations🙀

2 Likes

Just to understand better:
Are you’re talking about a difference you notice in the way it’s pronounced?

In the vocabulary lists (Southern version) I see it written as isie or eisiau.

I don’t remember big differences in sound in the challenges…but maybe because I sort of take for granted that from time to time words seem a little different depending on what’s right before or right next - or because they’re both correct.
Or maybe because we don’t notice it but everyone of us sometimes pronounce things slightly different!

p.s. I checked my pronunciation tutor Mr. Edwards :wink: and what I hear is “eishiai” , with a “sh” slightly softer than Iestyn’s :grin: (but it might just be a matter of microphone)

1 Like

That’s it. With the i part of i fi already stuck onto the isiau.

1 Like

If they have changed it’ll be to expose you to new pronunciations and, if that’s happened, well done for noticing! Your ear must be tuning in nicely.

Same meaning different pronunciation

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum for this query but here goes!
I have just worked through the South Level 3 course. As usual, I’m really impressed by the material but there is one thing that has really got me confused!
When do you use byddaf i or na’i (and the other persons for these verbs) as the future. They seem to both mean I will and are interchangeable but I’m sure that’s not right! I sort of get wnei di and wnewch chi as a ‘would you’ polite form of will you but I’m really confused about the other persons. If you can shed some light on this I’d be very grateful! Thanks.

I’ve just overheard two colleagues - one from S Wales, one from N Wales - mention Gwenhwyseg, and they both pronounced it “gwen-hoy-sig”.

3 Likes

They kind of do - you could sort of split them up as ‘I will be’ and ‘I will do’, but practically speaking they’d often be translated into English just as ‘I will’ - and in most cases, you can use whichever you want. Not always - if you said ‘bydda i yno’ for ‘I will be there’ you can’t swap it for ‘wna i yno’ - it would have to be ‘wna i fod yno’ - but as a good general rule, say what comes to mind first, and let your brain slowly start to copy the people you speak to most often… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks. That’s helpful. I shall listen carefully!

1 Like

Random Question. What’s the name of the Quarry that you could only get be sea and is now a languge centre. I thougt it was Corris but cant be as we recently went to the one selling crafts if thats it

Are you thinking of Nant Gwrtheyrn John?

1 Like

Not intentionally, but might be mixing thrm up. Or the Isle of Skye. I know!! :persevere:

Great thanks. My friend recently said nai gweld at fo. Ill take a look at it. So that fits.

1 Like

You might hear ‘wna i weld efo fo’ or ‘wna i weld amdano fo’… :slight_smile:

Sorry, here’s what she actually messaged me:
Nai edrych arna fo rwan.

1 Like

Aha, yes, that’s a more common structure… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is a recording of “neu” pronounced in the online dictionary gweiadur.com
(I would normally just refer you to the dictionary itself, but that one unfortunately needs registration, and registrations are still closed I think). I repeated it 5 times and recorded it in Audacity, then uploaded it to soundcloud:

(It could be a computer voice, but to me sounds human. Not sure if northern or southern. Possibly meant to be “neutral”, but that’s not really possible!

When you say "pronounced ‘ne’ " I’m not sure exactly what you mean, since “ne” isn’t an English word, so how is “ne”? pronounced? “ne” does exist in Welsh as a soft mutation of “de” (meaning “south” or “right”). Actually, I’ve just listened to Gweiadur’s version of “de” and the vowel sound is not actually that different from that of “neu”, to be honest, although I would have expected it to be different.

Well, have a listen and see what you think, and as always, “paid a phoenu” neu “paid a becso”. :slight_smile:

1 Like