Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yes that is right. On the northern course, old and new, they dip into this long form at times. When I was at school I learnt a semi-fictional version of Welsh where everything was in long form. I will spare you the details because it’s not helpful!

(Slightly less confidently) I think that the tense of one half of a sentence can often be neutral and drawn from the context of the other half - you have an ‘y’ as a tantalising ‘that’ for the second portion of the sentence - which I would anticipate is in the past tense - I think the portion you have given could be in several tenses dependent on the other portion. This is a surprising feature of Welsh which I didn’t learn in the fictional version!

(Less confident still!) I think this is essentially an idiom in English - and I’m not sure of the translation- by coincidence in the latest Sgwrs there is the use of ‘dyna’r cwbl’ which seems close.

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, two people replied whilst I was replying.

I’d go with their answers, ha, ha.

Rich :smile:

4 Likes

No, I’d just go with Aran’s. I was wondering about using popeth for the all in the other construction “popeth on i’n gwybod”?

1 Like

Hello everyone! I just finished my second play-through of Lv. 1 Challenge 16 (S), and there’s a little something that’s puzzling to me.

I have been hearing “y llivyr 'ma” and “y llivyr 'na” and I am wondering, is that the difference between “this book” and “that book?” I was feeling pretty baffled until I went to write this post, when that theory came to me just now after going to look at the vocabulary notes again. Before, I was just wondering if it’s because I am slightly hearing-impaired. :sweat_smile:

Diolch yn fawr iawn! :sunflower:

Sasha :stars:

3 Likes

yup :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you, thank you! The answer came to me as I composed my question hahaha, but it is wonderfully comforting to have the mystery resolved and the solution confirmed! Diolch yn fawr iawn eto! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

You’d definitely be understood - I’m not sure I’ve ever heard anyone say it - something sounds faintly odd about it, but I’m not sure why… :slight_smile:

I downloaded a brilliant album on iTunes yesterday, ‘Y Ceubal, Y Crossbar a’r Quango’ by Geraint Jarman. Could someone be so kind as to tell me what is the translation of ‘Twyn ar ben y llodyn’ (from one of the tracks on there). Twyn = hillock or dune, and it’s on top of something. However no online translation facility I know seems to recognise ‘llodyn’.

Diolch yn fawr.

OK, this is bugging me. How about? :
Oedd (hi’n) popeth bo’ fi’n gwybod, na …
(It was all that I knew, that …)

The danger of translations maybe, particularly when the English construction is not somthing I would think of.

3 Likes

Since I started watching Welsh TV series, when I try to make sentences in my head, I try to ask myself “Would this sound good in a dialogue in one of those episodes?”.
If it’s a bit too complicated, I usually answer “Naaa!” and look for another solution :smiley:
It’s just an impression, though. I’m not familiar with Welsh enough to judge!

p.s. I started with “35 Diwrnod” by the way, and I really like it!

4 Likes

I’ve been listening to a song, and one of the lines is
Sa na dafarn yn fan hyn, sa fo’n booming (I think)

I’m kind of assuming (based on the context) it means
If there was a pub here, it would be booming

So the first sa is a shortened tasai but what is the second sa short for? Or am I mishearing it?

Thanks

** Edit
Sorry, straight after posting i thought would it be basai? If so is it common for both to be shortened like that in speech (“up north” at least) or is it just poetic licence?

1 Like

Hi Toni,

That certainly sounds plausible - presumably it fits with the rest of the lyrics?

The ‘sa’ thing has confused me in the past - as you know it can be a shortening of tasai, basai or the more southern ‘sa i’ - meaning ‘I am not’ - same as dw i ddim - but it does seem that context sorts it out.

Rich :slight_smile:

Ps we seem to have a bit of a dog theme going with the personal pics at the moment!

2 Likes

yup, this.
and it’s one of my favourite songs by Gai too :wink:

4 Likes

Hi. I have been trying to increase my playlist with Welsh Bands and I have not heard of Gai. The difficult thing is being in America and not having access to all the music. I tried to search Gai, but had mixed results. Can you let me know some album names so I can see if I can find them? I would be interested in listening to their music. Diolch yn fawr!

Ah, yes - Gai is Gai Toms. He’s currently performing under ‘Gai Toms’, but that song is an older one when his band was ‘Mim Twm Llai’.
He also plays/played with ‘Brython Shag’ and ‘Anweledig’

edit -
The song in question above is Tafarn yn Nolredyn from the Mim Twm Llai album “O’r Sbensh”, but he’s done so many albums with all his different bands, it’s probably easier to google the band names rather than the album names.

3 Likes

Diolch! Interestingly, my family was listening to Anweledig yesterday while eating lunch!
I will look up the bands and add it to my playlist. Again, thanks so much!

3 Likes

Shwmae Kelly! I have been working on my own Welsh music playlist, so I thought I would share them with you in case there’s something there you haven’t heard. I found most of these from the same YouTuber, so I am going to link their page as well. Hope you enjoy them! There are a bunch of different musical styles in there. I’d love to hear if you have some favorites as well! These playlists are works in progress. Pob lwc!

My short list: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmzchn7zQTbHNN0SJX8cD-6TqSaItC-Wo

My longer list: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmzchn7zQTbHtq1KSLYXpagZHKuoYxyzB

DistantDreamer93’s page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuBUmoiAgqz8ze3B5IhFJTQ

2 Likes

Wow!! Thank you! This is great. I find that if I play Welsh music at home my husband gets more interested in possibly learning Welsh. Usually in the car he asks how to pronounce the name or asks, “what are they saying?” Hopefully he will start and then I will have a conversation partner! These videos will be great to show him and gives me more music to listen to! Diolch!

3 Likes

It’s safer to think of popeth as everything, not all (though I admit there is overlap in English). Attached to something else, all is usually i gyd,; and when it’s on its own, it’s usually y cyfan/y cwbwl

Dioch i chi i gyd - Thanks to you all
Mae’r bara i gyd wedi mynd - The bread’s all gone
’Na’r cyfan sy gen i - That’s all I’ve got
Rhaid i’r cyfan fynd - It’s all got to go

9 Likes