Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Shwmae, at first reminded me of that thing that we found in every Lesson 1 of English language:
Person A “How do you do?”
Person B “How do you do(?)”
It always seemed really weird to me (us). It’s a question, but not really, since the other person is supposed to repeat exactly the same thing instead of answering!? I never really understood the point, but I actually never heard anyone saying that in real life so…never mind!!

p.s. I see/hear shwmae all the time, instead, and just say shwmae back every time, it seemed always fine!

Curiosity here, @gisella-albertini - what do Italians say as a standard hello-type greeting? I have only the tiniest bit of Italian language, mostly from movies, so I’m curious what phrases are common in Italy?

As an aside - I often hear/say “Shwmae, sut wyt ti?” which actually is a doubling I suppose but works pretty well for me.

…movies with Italians or Italian-Americans? :slight_smile: (just curious myself!)

In Italy, the most common is ciao.
Works when you meet, and works when you leave!

When meeting, you can also use salve (half way between formal and informal, if you’re not too sure)

Then there’s the “how are you?”-type of things that may also work when you meet.
Come sta? (like Welsh chi)
Come stai? (like Welsh ti)
Come va? (how is it going?)
Com’è? (more informal, with friends - literally “how’s it?” - often used instead of ciao, with people you don’t often see/haven’t seen for a while)

When leaving also:
Ci vediamo (informal, lit. we’ll see each other = see you)
Ci si vede (same, more informal)
Ci si becca (same, kinda slangy!)

(if I remember more, I will add them!) :smiley:

Both, actually. Mostly old movies.

And thanks for the other answers. :sunny: When someone says “Come stai” what do you answer?

I take advantage of this to check the Welsh answers - I’m not too sure of or don’t know!

Molto bene or benissimo or alla grande = very well = da iawn (?)
Bene or tutto bene = well = iawn (?)
Abbastanza bene = quite well = ?
Non male = not bad = ?
Non tanto bene or maluccio = not so well or kinda bad = ?

Hopefully nothing worse tho’!

And you can add “E tu?” to ask back.

I think that one might be gweddol - something like “ok” or “fairly well”

When I was young (a long time ago) I think when people said something like “how are you” or “how do you do” (more formal) as a greeting, we still answered the question, but usually just with something like “fine” - not with a real answer. Not so much any more.

Yes - or ‘dim yn ddrwg’, or ‘dim yn rhy ddrwg’… :slight_smile:

… or as stated in one of the very early SSiW lessons somewhere in the distant past - “go lew”.

Cwestiwn clou / Quick Question

Contextual difference in meaning between salw …and hyll

Yay or nay? Or same (meaning = ugly)

Actually, I now think that may not have been from SSiW because I seem to recall “dal i gredu” being a response to “ti’n iawn?” in an early lesson.

Why is “keep believing/still believing” a response to “are you ok”?

Is it like boosting your confidence? Just sounds odd out of context

Salw - doesn’t look well - looks ill…

same meaning, but salw is more commonly used in the South.

Just a common Welsh turn of phrase - sort of thing that doesn’t translate… :slight_smile:

Diolch Aran a Siaron

On i’n meddwl rhywbeth fel na ond dim yn siŵr â fod yn onest! Tafodieithoedd!

Ah - Beca says ‘go lew’ as a reply in this weeks Sgwrs - I haven’t got round to asking about that (low on the list!) …what does this mean?

… it seems like it’s not a literal thing, unless there’s a lion involved! Hmmmm

Rich

Rather like my common answer for that - “Hanging in there.” - doesn’t really translate . . . :laughing:

yes diolch… I had a feeling it was this … but just sounded a bit jaded - I suppose thats reality haha …

“how you bud” … “aye lad…still believing”

Go lew … so-so.

“go lew” means sort of “middling”