Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Both, actually. Mostly old movies.

And thanks for the other answers. :sunny: When someone says “Come stai” what do you answer?

I take advantage of this to check the Welsh answers - I’m not too sure of or don’t know!

Molto bene or benissimo or alla grande = very well = da iawn (?)
Bene or tutto bene = well = iawn (?)
Abbastanza bene = quite well = ?
Non male = not bad = ?
Non tanto bene or maluccio = not so well or kinda bad = ?

Hopefully nothing worse tho’!

And you can add “E tu?” to ask back.

I think that one might be gweddol - something like “ok” or “fairly well”

When I was young (a long time ago) I think when people said something like “how are you” or “how do you do” (more formal) as a greeting, we still answered the question, but usually just with something like “fine” - not with a real answer. Not so much any more.

Yes - or ‘dim yn ddrwg’, or ‘dim yn rhy ddrwg’… :slight_smile:

1 Like

… or as stated in one of the very early SSiW lessons somewhere in the distant past - “go lew”.

1 Like

Cwestiwn clou / Quick Question

Contextual difference in meaning between salw …and hyll

Yay or nay? Or same (meaning = ugly)

Actually, I now think that may not have been from SSiW because I seem to recall “dal i gredu” being a response to “ti’n iawn?” in an early lesson.

1 Like

Why is “keep believing/still believing” a response to “are you ok”?

Is it like boosting your confidence? Just sounds odd out of context

Salw - doesn’t look well - looks ill…

1 Like

same meaning, but salw is more commonly used in the South.

1 Like

Just a common Welsh turn of phrase - sort of thing that doesn’t translate… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch Aran a Siaron

On i’n meddwl rhywbeth fel na ond dim yn siŵr â fod yn onest! Tafodieithoedd!

1 Like

Ah - Beca says ‘go lew’ as a reply in this weeks Sgwrs - I haven’t got round to asking about that (low on the list!) …what does this mean?

… it seems like it’s not a literal thing, unless there’s a lion involved! Hmmmm

Rich

1 Like

Rather like my common answer for that - “Hanging in there.” - doesn’t really translate . . . :laughing:

1 Like

yes diolch… I had a feeling it was this … but just sounded a bit jaded - I suppose thats reality haha …

“how you bud” … “aye lad…still believing”

Go lew … so-so.

2 Likes

“go lew” means sort of “middling”

2 Likes

I see…hmm…

…is there a literal translation (which won’t make sense of course ) ? I guess it’s not ‘go’ from go iawn and it’s not a mutated lion as it were?! :grin:

Not that it matters of course - those sorts of things generally help me remember things but ‘go lew’ is pretty memorable.

Thanks both @gruntius and @siaronjames

1 Like

“Go” means “rather” (like the quantifier as in rather happy, rather busy, etc.) and is used fairly often as such. And also very commonly in set phrases like …
Go lew - so-so
Go brin - rarely
Go iawn - real

2 Likes