Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Sounds like “eebo” as in “edfan eebo” to me (if Iestyn was saying an “h” he must have been making a very special effort, because I don’t think there is an “h” in the unofficial Southern Welsh alphabet - Welsh or Wenglish).

3 Likes

Just found in ‘Dweud Eich Dweud: A Guide to Colloquial and Idiomatic Welsh’ by Ceri Jones that one of the features of the Dyfedeg (i.e iaith Dyfed/SW Wales) dialect is that “a final ‘i’ is dropped, e.g. smocio > smoco”, but gives the usual disclaimer that the differences noted are only broad-brush portraits of the different dialects

2 Likes

It definitely is a S characteristic to pronounce verb ending -io as -o - you hear it all over the place. The gogs get quite queasy about it.

6 Likes

How would I say. ‘look at the state of you?’ in reference to someone who is very dirty or just looks a bit silly?

Diolch bawb

If you watch rugby you’ll see a “cais” when a team scores a try. Cais is also used for try/application/attempt. Cais being the route of ceisio

2 Likes

You’d hear the Anglicisation ‘yli stad arnat ti’… probably lots of other variations as well… :slight_smile:

1 Like

? what is yli?

1 Like

Is it disgwyl y? Prob not, but Ive seen it creeping up North a bit.

A common northern way to say ‘Look’ as an imperative… :slight_smile: [Plural/formal: Ylwch]

You’ll hear parents with young children saying this ALL the time. ‘Yli del’ - look at that pretty thing.

2 Likes

When I started with SSiW I just…hated it! :grin:
Of course I knew they did it to get us used to variations, and that I would probably get to a point where I’d appreciate it. But back then it was just super-confusing (same for things like Cat saying wedi and Iestyn saying 'di etc).

@AnthonyCusack er…is averybody going to get mad at me if I admit that I don’t know what a try is in rugby? :no_mouth: (but I understand I can hear/use cais for any try/attempt, so that’s good, thanks!)

1 Like

Not at all, after all being Italian it’s not that often you get to see them. :joy::wink:

Sorry, just a leg pull. :wink:

6 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Well…I guess I know just enough about rubgy to admit it’s…well deserved. :smiley:

3 Likes

Ah, now I remember, I think it was “'shgwl y stad arnat ti” on Y Wenwhyseg Twitter account. SE Wales. I’m not sure if it’s still ok to use. @Iestyn will know. Or perhaps Mae 'na… For There’s a state…

Thanks wouldn’t have guessed that one - originally from gwylio/gwylia/gwyliwch I guess??

Seems like a reasonable possibility, but couldn’t tell you for the life of me!

1 Like

There used to be an old Welsh greeting when you hadnt seen someone in a while.

Sut mae hanes? What history you been up to… basically… younger generation dont seem to use it for good or bad

1 Like

dyna olwg sydd arnoch chi! - is a longer version … likely shortened down.

My mam-gu … grandmother…now passed … sadly took a lot of colloquial stuff with her…she used to directly translate English from Welsh as she was a monoglot Welsh speaker as a teen before moving to Cardiff.

She used to say in English … “you’re a sight for sore eyes” - but in the (negative) opposite context !! (to the standard version!) … basically “you look a right mess”

Diolch aran.

1 Like

Not at all! But it’s quite a handy bit of knowledge if you visit Wales between November and March :wink:

I also meant “root” not “route” of the word…good old consistent English eh?! :joy:

1 Like

I got used to being confused by English language. :wink:

As for try, from your comment and @gruntius I could guess it was a score. And I know in rugby you either take the ball beyond a line or kick it high enough between two poles, but couldn’t guess which one it was.
So I looked it up in the dictionary, and oh, I knew the the Italian word for it: meta.

Now the funny thing. if you translate back meta into English, you get goal.
That’s ironical: the team that tries harder to score a try, but rarely succeed in its goal, calls it “goal”; the best teams that way more often reach their goal, call it try. :dizzy_face:

2 Likes