Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yes it seems there are lots of different spellings for lots of words…just to keep you on your toes!

I did the southern course - like you I think … at the time it seemed to map pretty well onto what Iestyn was saying - as a rule of thumb anyway.

He said io… on heibio …and an ‘o’ on parcio…didn’t he? The trouble is that seems a long time ago now though and I’ve been listening to a lot of Northern things recently …so the audio recording in my head is not as clear as it used to be!

However if rules always have exceptions, I’m not sure what things that aren’t quite rules have!!! :smile:

It’s a good excuse to say it however you darn well please to my mind :smile: - it doesn’t really seem that anyone can say it should be one way or the other!! :grimacing:

Rich

Yes, I did the Southern Course, but I think there’s now a conspiracy to lead us astray with the Advanced material and drag us all towards the Northern accent. :wink: :laughing:

Anyway I remember hearing heibo and beido in the challenges and then saw it was written heibio and beidio in the vocabulary, but didn’t ask until now (I still have a note from back then and just noticed it again cause I repeated lesson 25 a few days ago after a while).

[edit] I haven’t met parcio yet!

I particularly appreciated the fact that, when Iestyn said heibo etc, Cat would say “heibio”. There as an important lesson there I think about variation in pronunciation even within the same family. That certainly applies to M and me.

Sounds like “eebo” as in “edfan eebo” to me (if Iestyn was saying an “h” he must have been making a very special effort, because I don’t think there is an “h” in the unofficial Southern Welsh alphabet - Welsh or Wenglish).

Just found in ‘Dweud Eich Dweud: A Guide to Colloquial and Idiomatic Welsh’ by Ceri Jones that one of the features of the Dyfedeg (i.e iaith Dyfed/SW Wales) dialect is that “a final ‘i’ is dropped, e.g. smocio > smoco”, but gives the usual disclaimer that the differences noted are only broad-brush portraits of the different dialects

It definitely is a S characteristic to pronounce verb ending -io as -o - you hear it all over the place. The gogs get quite queasy about it.

How would I say. ‘look at the state of you?’ in reference to someone who is very dirty or just looks a bit silly?

Diolch bawb

If you watch rugby you’ll see a “cais” when a team scores a try. Cais is also used for try/application/attempt. Cais being the route of ceisio

You’d hear the Anglicisation ‘yli stad arnat ti’… probably lots of other variations as well… :slight_smile:

? what is yli?

Is it disgwyl y? Prob not, but Ive seen it creeping up North a bit.

A common northern way to say ‘Look’ as an imperative… :slight_smile: [Plural/formal: Ylwch]

You’ll hear parents with young children saying this ALL the time. ‘Yli del’ - look at that pretty thing.

When I started with SSiW I just…hated it! :grin:
Of course I knew they did it to get us used to variations, and that I would probably get to a point where I’d appreciate it. But back then it was just super-confusing (same for things like Cat saying wedi and Iestyn saying 'di etc).

@AnthonyCusack er…is averybody going to get mad at me if I admit that I don’t know what a try is in rugby? :no_mouth: (but I understand I can hear/use cais for any try/attempt, so that’s good, thanks!)

Not at all, after all being Italian it’s not that often you get to see them. :joy::wink:

Sorry, just a leg pull. :wink:

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Well…I guess I know just enough about rubgy to admit it’s…well deserved. :smiley:

Ah, now I remember, I think it was “'shgwl y stad arnat ti” on Y Wenwhyseg Twitter account. SE Wales. I’m not sure if it’s still ok to use. @Iestyn will know. Or perhaps Mae 'na… For There’s a state…

Thanks wouldn’t have guessed that one - originally from gwylio/gwylia/gwyliwch I guess??

Seems like a reasonable possibility, but couldn’t tell you for the life of me!

There used to be an old Welsh greeting when you hadnt seen someone in a while.

Sut mae hanes? What history you been up to… basically… younger generation dont seem to use it for good or bad

dyna olwg sydd arnoch chi! - is a longer version … likely shortened down.

My mam-gu … grandmother…now passed … sadly took a lot of colloquial stuff with her…she used to directly translate English from Welsh as she was a monoglot Welsh speaker as a teen before moving to Cardiff.

She used to say in English … “you’re a sight for sore eyes” - but in the (negative) opposite context !! (to the standard version!) … basically “you look a right mess”