Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Diolch for the reassurance. I’ve been working much more quickly than I expected. I’m only on week 4 so the extra repeats were no real hardship but, yes, I’ve been aiming for 80%+ :smiley: I will definitely try moving through the next two more quickly and see how it goes :grin: As you say, I can always go back if I find myself lost :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, 12 to 14 are hard. But just keep going, it gets easier and you will be repeating the phrases throughout the course anyway. So don’t let it worry you.

4 Likes

I took everyone’s advice and ploughed on and it’s all coming together just fine :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m up to 19 now. I won’t get as much chance to practice over the weekend (I practice on my journey to and from work) but I’ll still do the listening and sentences before hitting challenge 20 on Monday :slight_smile:

Thanks all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome work - well DONE! :slight_smile: :star2:

1 Like

Why is there an ‘y’ before ‘dylen’ in a phrase like ‘Wyt ti’n meddwl y dylen nhw…’?

The explanation given by one of my dictionaries …

This conjunction (often silent in normal speech) is used to introduce subordinate clauses (introduced by “that …” in english) where the original statement began with an affirmative verb other than present tense of bod.

6 Likes

Brilliant—thank you so much, that makes sense. Funny how these little things both intrigue and bother me until I know the explanation. Now I can sleep tonight.

Diolch yn fawr iawn,
Mari

4 Likes

But I suspect knowing the rule in theory will not, in itself, help one form these sentences correctly all the time (at least it doesn’t with me). Only lots and lots of exposure / practice will do that … hence SSiW, of course. :slight_smile: But I agree: it is very nice to know the rule, and not just have to wonder why. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, but I am insatiably curious so am delighted—puzzle solved :wink:

Hwyl,
Mari

That is SUCH a good dictionary. :+1:

10 Likes

So it’s “y” before a positive 2nd clause, and “na” before a negative? I’ve been getting that wrong in freestyle sentences. Also when to use “bod” or “sydd”/“sy’n”. Unless it’s an obvious SSiW pattern, I just try to listen out for examples.

It is… but aren’t you bothered by him owning several other dictionaries that are, presumably, NOT that dictionary?

Personally, I’ve found a certain Modern Welsh Dictionary should be all one requires :wink:

2 Likes

Bewteen you and me, Stephen, I am slightly appalled of course. But one must be a stoic in polite society, mustn’t one? I shall keep my pain to myself - it is the proper thing to do… :confused:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say several others but I would say that what I have covers all needs. The usage guides in this one are brilliant but there are times when … other words are required. :wink:

1 Like

I particularly like the access to “archaic” words that Y Geiriadur Mawr provides. But my Pocket Modern Welsh Dictionary is about to fall apart from use!

2 Likes

The other dictionary I use when, as I said, “other words are required” is Y Geiriadur Cyfoes by H. Meurig Evans. I grew up watching my dad reach for it whenever a word escaped him … if it was good enough for him them it sure as hell is good enough for me. There are no definitions or usage guides, just a straight up translation. It’s rarely failed to come up with the word I need and it still has his thumb marks from where he flicked through the pages. That alone makes it the best.

5 Likes

That is a great dictionary - both modern and very comprehensive. Easily the best purely word-to-word dictionary for the modern language.

2 Likes

I may have to investigate this… the second dictionary I own is the Collin’s Spurrell Pocket Welsh Dictionary, and it’s pretty rubbish, really.

Yes, it’s poor. Get the Meurig Evans one and throw out the Spurrell. I believe (if memory serves - I don’t own it myself) that the Spurrell is the one that has the absurd entry:

have caf

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation! “Y Geiriadur Cyfoes” is on order. It’s a second hand copy at a remarkably good price. I intend to use it for those more obscure words that I can’t find in the “Modern Welsh Dictionary”. I did buy that new, but you wouldn’t think so to look at it now.
Sue

2 Likes