Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Perhaps not sign language… :grimacing:

1 Like

They’ve improved it marginally from when you last saw. It now has the almost as absurd entry of:

I love that neither example given actually uses cael.

2 Likes

At class last night I may have woefully held up my conveniently portable Spurrel and mimed that tossing it was the advice I had picked up from the forum…

It’s not a great dictionary, but it still serves a purpose… paperweight, doorstop, kindling…

But seriously, it’s OK for the quick lookup of nouns which is mostly what I need it for.

1 Like

…flower-press…

1 Like

A quick general question for freestyling sentences:
Regarding the yn/'n thing, do we ration its use or keep bunging more in there?

eg (a deliberately awkward example) -
Dwi’n Gobeithio bod ti’n teimlo’n rili yn dda iawn.
I hope that you’re feeling really OK

Should they all be in there? Sorry about the rili :frowning:

Shwmae! I am back, once again, I have a few questions to ask, it’s simple, but it confuses me :’<.

Okay, so, in Old Course 1 Lesson 4, there’s “Wnest ti, and Wnest ti ddim”, but there’s another one, “Wnes i, and Wnes i ddim”, the second one is paired with “Do ,a Naddo”, does that make a difference? will you only say “Wnes i/Wnes i ddim” if you’re going to say it like “Do Wnes i…/Naddo Wnes i ddim…”?

second question: when and when will you not use “a, and ac/ach” (don’t know the spelling ;-; )

Dolch! :smiley:

2 Likes

“Ac” before a vowel.

Not entirely sure what you’re asking, but:

Wnest ti / Wnest ti ddim is “You did” / “You did not”, whereas

Wnes i / Wnes i ddim is “I did” / “I did not”.

As you may know, there’s no one standard way of saying “yes” or “no” in Welsh, there are different ways depending on, among other things, the tense of the question. “Do” and “Naddo” are the ways of saying “Yes” and “No”, respectively, for questions in the past tense.

4 Likes

oh, my god, I typed it wrong, it’s supposed to be what’s the difference of “Wnes i/Wnes i ddim” from “Wnest i/Wnes i ddim” if there is a difference, then how should they be used? and I apologize for the misunderstanding :< Dolch!

I think what you’re hearing as “Wnest i (ddim)” is just “Wnest ti (ddim)” - “You did (not)”. There is no “Wnest i”.

3 Likes

huh, so I was right all along! but wth, there is a “Wnest i (ddim)” written on Old Course 1 Lesson 4 on the Vocabulary List, it baffled me. welp, thank you so much for clearing out my confusion!Screenshot_1

I’m… not seeing what you say you’re seeing.
I see:

Wnest ti ddim (you did not)

Wnest ti…? (did you…?)

Do, wnes i… (yes, I did…)

Naddo, wnes i ddim… (no, I did not…)

I still don’t see a “Wnest i (ddim)”.

2 Likes

oh, my, god, sorry for being stupid, I just realized it now, you’re supposed to write “Wnest ti” for “did you…?” not “Wnes ti”, and “Wnes i” for “I did…” and not “Wnest i”. I am so sorry, and thank you, once again, I’ve finally really got it ^0^

4 Likes

The “really” is already there in the “iawn”. No need for the last “yn”.
I would go for … "Dwi’n gobeithio bod ti’n teimlo yn dda iawn.

2 Likes

I just tried to make a conversation, and is this even right? ;-;

person 1: “oes gen ti te?” (do you have tea?)

person 2: “oes, mae gen i te” (yes, I have tea)

person 1 :“pam oes gen ti te?” (why do you have tea?)

person 2: “mae gen i te achos wnes i mynd y siop pryni vo” (I have tea because I went to the shop to buy it)

4 Likes

That’s very good!.. This shows a great understanding when you are just getting started - well done.

Person 2 needs to be going to the shop…a detail in the big picture…these and others things sort themselves as you go…SIW gives you a good sense of what feels right and this will continue to evolve.

Good work!

Rich :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Which you do by saying …mynd i’r siop …
Still, VERY GOOD!!!

4 Likes

Looks like you’re picking it up nicely.

Btw, I’d love to hear two people actually have this conversion… two baffled old people, most likely!

3 Likes

Great thanks, Geraint. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Could we please have more video clips like Let it Go from Frozen. Although it will take me a while to learn, it’s great fun. Hope others think the same.

3 Likes