Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I looked up words for image, because that could convey the meaning of illustration sometimes. Some interesting alternative words, but might want someone to advise if they convey the same meaning as illustration. Cyflun, cyfrith, delw, delw-lun?

1 Like

What’s the idea behind the listening exercise at double speed?

I wondered what you got if you looked up highly-illustrated kids’ books on a Welsh-language publisher/bookseller, such as this Welsh version of Supertato, and the answer seems to be that “Illustrations/Illustrated (by)” is given as darlunwyd (gan) i.e. the Literary Welsh past impersonal of darlun. Not quite the noun you were after, but does suggest some derivative of darlun is probably the way to go.

1 Like

They are surprising initially but they train your brain to pick out the meaning of words from a stream of dialogue, over a period of time.

It is one of those things which takes a little while but it’s an investment - so I think you are encouraged to put it on and listen to it for a period every day - even if initially, you are not detecting progress.

Over a period you will feel yourself tuning in to what is said which puts you in a great position to understand full speed, real life dialogue, as your Welsh develops.

So…It’s a bit counter intuitive but it works!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is probably heretical, but if I want to hear Welsh spoken rapidly, I just listen to this gentleman:

2 Likes

Or, the way they worked for me was - not to try to understand any of it but to perhaps just recognise the words and get used to hearing stuff at that speed. Then when you hear someone speaking more slowly (but still relatively quickly) it feels easier.

3 Likes

Me too! but I think the idea behind the exercises is that you should😳Know all the words. So no excuses for not getting the meaning.

2 Likes

The more I do the more confused! Revisiting l3 21-25 as they didn’t stick. Struggling with “here”. Is there different reasons for using yma or yn fan hin?

Nope, not particularly, so you’re doing better than you thought… :slight_smile:

It’s particularly important not to aim for perfection towards the end of a level, because that’s where EVERYTHING is getting thrown at you again - in many ways, it’s tougher than just having a conversation… :wink:

2 Likes

Can I please ask for differentiation between:

Bod - that

And

Bo’fi - that

For composing the sentence “that I need…” in week 3.

Thanks very much :slight_smile:

Bo’fi = that I (shortened from bod fi)
Bod = (*in this context) that

*Although in this context it does, bod doesn’t always mean ‘that’ so bear that in mind in case it throws you when it pops up elsewhere.

3 Likes

Thanks very much Siaron

1 Like

I wondered if the words ‘Heuldro’ and ‘Alban’ and ’ Cyhydnos’were reginal variants and if so, which is which? Also are they specific to equinox or solstice? Astrologically challenged. Thanks

Not so much regional variants, more just different names for the same thing.
heuldro’r gaeaf : winter solstice .
heuldro’r haf : summer solstice
Alban Arthan : winter solstice .
Alban Cyntefin = Alban Eilir : vernal equinox .
Alban Elfed : autumnal equinox .
Alban Hefin : summer solstice .
cyhydnos y gwanwyn : vernal equinox .
cyhydnos yr hydref : autumnal equinox .

as an aside…
heuldro comes from haul+tro (sun-turn)
cyhydnos comes from cy+hyd+nos (equal-length-night)
alban (in this context) means equinoctial or solstitial point.
:smiley:

10 Likes

That’s just what I wanted to find out, thank you so much.

2 Likes

I know very little about this, except that it happens over one or the other tropics. There’s that word “Tro” again.

Southern-ish pronunciation query: I’m reading Hadau, the second book in the trilogy Yma by Lleucu Roberts, and I just came across the following: Doedd Cai erioed wedi gweld pobl heblaw ei bobl ef… Having done exclusively Gog to date, I think I’d expect and be fine with ei bobl o – clearly this is just the less Gog equivalent.
Question is, out of curiosity and since I can’t hear it in my head: would the f of ef be silent?

yes and no. some people may not pronounce it and some people would. There is (I think) slightly more emphasis implied by pronouncing it.

1 Like

And am I right in thinking it ‘should’ (for certain values of ‘should’) be ei bobl o? :slight_smile:

Well, “e” is the southern equivalent to the northern “o”, so I think either one would correctly say “his people.”

1 Like