Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I have a question that has only a slight connection to Welsh language, but it would be really helpful for me to hear an opinion of a few English first language speakers. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you read out loud the word pyst.

What meanings come to your mind?

1 Like

On hearing the word ‘pyst’ without seeing the spelling or knowing it was Welsh, my English-first-language-brain would think drunk/urinated/angry. (hmmm - could be a three-word-story there! :joy::joy:)

3 Likes

I’m the same as @siaronjames

1 Like

Actually I need to correct myself slightly there - I should have said that pam never has SM or NM, but that you do sometimes hear AM in the phrase a pham…? and why…?

Soz!

3 Likes

Alaska Adventure
I’m so proud to announce that I’ve been chosen by the Welsh Government to tour Alaska for the sunny six month period, promoting Welsh Cakes.

I’ll be posting pics on the forum as I go.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I have been persuaded to cancel, even though it would have been such an interesting adventure :slight_smile:

Mainly, because the international mid-day time line, has now even swept over Alaska. :frowning: :wink:

1 Like

I n e v e r pssssst very loud; the whole point is to be surreptitious/on the sly…

2 Likes

Pssst. What date is it?

Today, April 2nd. Yesterday 1st. I would guess now your strange post about Alaska :thinking: is somehow related to…yesterday date, was it? :slight_smile:

p.s. But my question was serious! (oh well, not serious-serious for content, i understand the point, but I really needed to hear an opinion about it!)

Sorry, Gisella. You dont get much sense out of us on April Fools Day. Although the other comments look genuine.

It could be slightly vulgar for drunk or American for annoyed. Psst is quietly whistling in someone’s ear, getting their attention.

The only other thing it could be is Piste as in the Ski route.

As you can imagine, there are a few jokes around linking these. So probably just smile if you hear the word.

1 Like

Some sort of variation on the defective verb, perhaps?

2 Likes

Carefully avoiding the afflictive verbs - they could be painful.

3 Likes

…as can conflictive clausal vindictive indicatives :zipper_mouth_face::shushing_face:

1 Like

I believe it is Bendith!

Can I always use ‘bo’ fe’ instead of ‘fod e’?
It comes naturally to me but I have to think too much if I want to say ‘fod e’.

Should ‘gwylies i bach o deledu’ not be ‘fach o deledu’?

Sure (although you might in time find yourself adapting to more formal patterns depending on when/where you use your Welsh most)… :slight_smile:

I’d reckon you’re more likely to hear the first one… :slight_smile:

Thanks Aran. :slightly_smiling_face:Though I’m not too sure when I’ll actually get to use my Welsh to have the chance to mimic other people’s use of the language. :pensive: It seems more like a nice little hobby of mine, living here in Reading.

1 Like

You’ll be able to dig 'em out, if you decide to… :slight_smile:

I’m moving up to Caerlŷr (Leicester) soon. I wonder if I’ll be able to find anyone there?:thinking:

Bound to. They’re all over the place - loads in Birmingham - not sure off the top of my head if there’s a meetup in Leicester at the moment, but Dee would know :slight_smile: