Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I don’t have a flag for a meeting in Leicester (yet) though there are several pins for SSiWers at Leicester in the UK map.

1 Like

I heard someone on the radio who kept asking “Lle wyt ti’n dod o” (Where do you come from) with the “o” at the end.

Is that fairly common in a question?

Perhaps check with Dave of Southam, regarding Coventry meet-ups.

Yes, very common. Not grammatically ‘pure’, but very common.

3 Likes

I hear “be’ ti’n sôn am?” a lot too.

3 Likes

Now I need some quick help. I’m on one project and need to know how in Welsh one would say “ups and downs” like in “We’ve had some ups and downs though these years.” Checking thngs around a bit I’ve got just wenglishisms “wps a downs” but it sounds not right to me though.

Does anything like this exist in Welsh?

Thank you.

Geiriadur yr Academi gives this -
a life of ups and downs : bywyd o ddringo a disgyn ar yn ail / bywyd llawn cyfnewidiadau / bywyd cyfnewidiol

so for “We’ve had some ups and downs though these years.” I’d probably go for something like “'Dan ni wedi cael cyfnod llawn cynewidiadau dros y blynyddoedd”

2 Likes

Thank you @siaronjames.

Well, I actually need this in more poetic form. The verse I’ve written goes like this:

“Oedd popeth yn gwir be’ wedi digwydd:
wps a downs trwy mlynyddoedd hynny” …

How to make these “wps a downs” more Welsh? Any way for this not to make the verse longer as it is now?

So, possibly a slightly Anglicised dialect of Cymraeg?

One thing you might do with what you currently have would be to change the “wps” to “yps” which, pronounced as Welsh, would sound more like “ups.” The ‘w’ keeps making me see that as “oops” instead! :wink:

3 Likes

In that case, I think you’d be ok to say “lan a lawr” for ups and downs - even though the plural isn’t there, I think the sense still is.
Also, - and I hope you don’t mind me saying - I think you need a ‘sy’ in the first line to say “what has happened”, and years are feminine, so honno instead of hynny, but I hope that doesn’t wreck any rhyme pattern you have elsewhere!

“Oedd popeth yn gwir sy wedi digwydd:
lan a lawr trwy’r blynyddoedd honno” …

1 Like

A bit of a highbrow question, if it’s already been answered, oh well.
Does the English usage of ‘moron’ come from the Welsh word for carrots?

It’s from Greek, via medical Latin. By now, it’s an archaic term for what used to be called “feeble-minded”.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks. Slightly disappointed, I liked the carrots origin theory, but so be it …

Well…morons are not everyone’s favorite

heh, yeah, I eat quite a lot myself though. Btw I have found Gwenan Gibbard on my Spotify, also I noticed she features on a tradmusicwales channel I’m subbed to.

Yes - when bach is a quantity word meaning ychydig, it resists mutation.

Same with peth, by the way:

Gwylies i peth teledu - I watched a bit of telly

3 Likes

Is this the same for all quantity type words or just some?

ooh, interesting. I’d always assumed it hadn’t mutated because the bach was part of the phrase ‘tipyn bach’ and stayed as it was even though the tipyn/dipyn had been left out. But that’s the danger with making my own rules up!

3 Likes

Well Siaron that could indeed be the reason for it.