Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

:open_mouth:
Well I never!

1 Like

Just bach and peth, as far as I can think Dan. The others follow the rules.

Mi welon ni gymaint o bobol yno - We saw so many people there
Dysges i lawer - I learnt a lot
Cynigies i ragor o gefnogaeth iddyn nhw - I offered them more support

2 Likes

Or of course it could be something to do with the tarot cards…

3 Likes

Sounds like a Welsh speaker from Somerset, if you ask me!

1 Like

Wnes i ddim gwybod bo’ ti’n siarad Cymraeg…does this sentence make sense? Is it the same thing as "d’on i ddim yn gwybod…?

There’s been some discussion of this point before - there’s a fairly short list of verbs in Welsh that don’t normally use the wnes i form, preferring o’n i’n: fortunately, for an English speaker, it’s fairly easy to get the feel for them, as they’re mostly the same ones that you can’t use the Present with -ing with in English.
So what you said would be understood, but a bit like saying “I am knowing.”

1 Like

It makes sense, Joleen (i.e. people would understand you), but it’s wrong. You have to use o’n i… / do’n i… with gwybod for the past tense. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like this because I think I make up rules for things as I go along. :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

So in the same vein, “wnes i ddim deall” is correct because, it’s a short term thing, rather than long term, I didn’t understand (what you said) as opposed to I didn’t know (before/previously)…??
This is in level 1 challenge 10-12

2 Likes

Yes as you say it is more of an action/ non-stative thing in wnes I ddim deall beth wedest ti…(I didn’t understand what you said) and do’n I ddim is used for the longer term / stative sense too.

Rich :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You are the star @siaronjames! This is also much easier to say than anything else (because I’m recording this by myself). Diolch yn fawr iawn!

Oh, but

yn gwir or yn wir?

Also, I’ve made it “hynny” as it more suits to the rhyme, but “honno” will make no harm I think.

And thank you @Deborah-SSi for your response aswell. More than “wps” (your tip is great though) actually tortured me “downs” as it’s impossible to say it any proper way and surely it don’t sounds too Welsh as such as I say it. :slight_smile:

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

1 Like

ah - I missed that one! Yes, it should be ‘yn wir’ :flushed:

1 Like

I hear it more than “o le…” To be honest.

1 Like

Sounds a bit like a Calque of the English, but that’s not a bad thing, particularly in parts of Wales where Welsh has been weak for quite a while - it happened the other way around when Welsh switched to English and resulted in some nice dialects - Wenglish etc.

1 Like

Yes I agree that this sort of thing definitely happens in Wenglish (English). Here’s a comment that has just appeared on our local FB group about some helicopters that flew over us earlier -
“Appachae helicopters they were”

1 Like

For some reason, this reminds me of

“The dog it was that died”.

(Which, thanks to Google, I now know comes from the poem “Elegy on the death of a mad dog” (1766) by Oliver Goldsmith (who was Irish)).

I just noticed ‘rwyt ti’ being used on a grammar chart and examples. I can’t remember this mentioned in the challenges, maybe it was. But is this form used in speech at any time, a difference in dialect or formality whether to abbreviate it to just ‘ti’ or not?

1 Like

Yes, kind of and only if you know the person well enough to be informal and familiar. Sometimes the leading ‘r’ indicates the difference between a question and a statement (mind you the tone does too).

2 Likes

®wyt ti = are you or you are. Informal spoken form.

2 Likes

It’s used more in writing and in formal speaking, and in some areas you hear it more than others, but in general every-day conversation it sounds a bit affected.

1 Like