Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Aha! Your answer has reminded me of when I asked almost the exact same question nearly two years ago - and you’re absolutely right! [chagrin face]

2 Likes

Hi bawb - does cyffrous mean both excited and exciting? Diolch

1 Like

I think “excited” (as in ‘to be excited’) is cyffro

2 Likes

Kindle Reader Problem.
If anyone can help, please see Random Stwff Topic (to keep this topic free).Many thanks in advance.
Edit: I think I’ve sorted it. To do with the zoomed size of font.

“myn brain i” - something like “Upon my soul!” “I do declare”?

1 Like

Also: Ydych chi wedi sylwi mor gwic mae dyn dwad yn cael i neud yn ddeiacon? Am nad yw e byth yn dod â’i orffennol gydag e gwlei.

“Have you noticed how quickly an incomer gets made deacon? Because he never brings his past with him X.”

gwlei? - can’t find it in dictionaries.

‘Dweud Eich Dweud’ comes to the rescue! :slightly_smiling_face: Apparently it means “I believe/I think” and it’s a S Wales form derived from fe goeliaf i

3 Likes

I would guess it is something about politics. GM doesn’t have gwlei but does have these:

gwleidiad = countryman
gwleidiad and gwleidyddiaeth = politics
gwleidydd = politician, statesman
gwleidyddol = political

(I do love Y Geiriadur Mawr just for such things!)

So what was this one?
The only thing that I’ve found would be something like " mynd ar brain" perhaps gone to the crows (gone to ruin).

Just a thought, if it’s SE Wales -
In Bristol, “Brain” = stoney (brazen) soil, but that’s English.

Yes, very similar - ‘myn’ here is ‘by’ as in an oath, so “By the crows!” (don’t worry about the lack of an y - this not a literal word-for-word phrase!)

2 Likes

Oh, OK - I’d found myn as in oaths/exclamations in the GPC, but didn’t quite believe it was “by my crows!” The same book has also provided myn asgwrn i - presumably “by my bone!”

2 Likes

Hi, I would appreciate some help with the translation of these words/phrases which I need to be able to speak about myself, my work and possibly also about SSiW:

• online (as I read something online or I bought something online)
  • online shop
  • on the Internet
  • on a/the website
  • my website
  • and possibly some specific things like on Facebook etc.

I could translate the words using an online dictionary but I need some help with choosing the correct prepositions and mutations.
Thank you.

2 Likes
  • online (as I read something online or I bought something online) - ar lein (darllenais I rywbeth ar lein/nes I ddarllen rhywbeth ar lein. Prynais I rhywbeth ar lein/nes I brynu rhywbeth ar lein)
  • online shop - siop ar lein
  • on the Internet - ar y we
  • on a/the website - ar wefan / ar y wefan
  • my website - fy ngwefan i
  • and possibly some specific things like on Facebook etc. - ar Facebook/ar Gweplyfr. ar Twitter/ar Trydar (It’s perfectly acceptable to use the names facebook and twitter, but I’ve given you the Welsh alternatives too :wink: )
7 Likes

Thank you. This makes me wonder, are the Welsh alternatives for Facebook/Twitter used?

some people use them, yes, but a lot don’t - it’s just personal preference. As long as you’re aware of them though, they won’t confuse you when you do come across them.

2 Likes

Helo pawb. How do I say (Nth) “Where were you born?” and “I was born in xxx.” Diolch.

Gogledd is north

1 Like

Lle gest ti dy eni?Ges i fy ngeni yn …

3 Likes

@Hendrik Diolch yn fawr iawn.

Cwestiwn bach …

“Tyrd!” medda Jake. “Waeth i ni fynd, ddim, cyn y rush.”

What exactly is the “ddim” in this context?