Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Here’s a simple one. I realise I’ve got to Level 2 and I can’t seem to remember learning “it is not”. What is the negative for: Mae hi’n bwrw glaw, for example?
Diolch!

Dydy hi ddim yn bwrw glaw (Northern)
Dyw hi ddim yn bwrw glaw (Southern)

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr! I recognise the dydy now. We’ve had Dydy fy mam ddim yn licio pel-droed etc. Now I see how it works for it.

2 Likes

And don’t forget Tydy for Dydy either - very common in many N areas! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch, @garethrking! A helo. I have bought your grammar book for beginners. I had to buy it on Kindle because I’m in Seland Newydd and will be travelling to Cymru but it’s really helpful.

2 Likes

Thank you Bronwen - and I’m glad! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again Siaron. So, is it the same for Mae hi’n braf? Dydy hi ddim yn braf? Diolch!

It’s exactly the same structure so yes. It’s the same if you want to talk about him/her too.

Mae o’n dal (he’s tall)
Tydy hi ddim yn hapus (she isn’t happy)
Tydy John ddim yn amyneddgar (John isn’t patient)
etc.

3 Likes

Dioch yn fawr iawn, @gruntius. Cael diwrnod braf. (Online dictionary tells me this “Have a nice day.” - hope it’s right.)

1 Like

yes, what Gruntius says!

1 Like

It’s not. :joy:

2 Likes

There is a copy of Intermediate Welsh on Amazon for under a tenner…:+1:

1 Like

Hi all, I was wondering earlier how you’d say about to as in I’m about to do something. Initially I thought Dw i newydd mynd i wneud rhwybeth, but that doesn’t feel right for some reason. I found ‘ar gyn’ in the dictionary. Would this be used? If so, would it be used like Dw i ar gyn gwneud rhywbeth?

Cheers :slight_smile:

“dwi ar fin gwneud rhywbeth” (dwee ar veen …) is “I’m about to do something”.

Also “newydd” in this usage causes a soft mutation so “dwi newydd fynd …”. :+1:

Not sure if I replied to the thread or to you so edited to tag @DanJones.’

5 Likes

Don’t place too much faith in these - I need some advice here as well, but how abouts

dw i am fynd i wneud (or does am fynd mean wanting to go???)

dw i ar ben fynd i wneud

“Am” is used for future intent in this case. “Dwi am wneud o yfory”. I’ll do it tomorrow/I intend doing it tomorrow.

3 Likes

diolch

1 Like

What’s the difference between sŵn and sain?
Edited to correct spelling - right @siaronjames ! :grin:

1 Like

I think you mean sŵn and sain which are synonyms - they can both mean ‘sound’, although only sŵn is used for ‘noise’.
Sein means a mark or symbol (which is why I think you meant sain!)

2 Likes

Sain seems to be used in a lot more specific phrases like system sain, cytsain, ffilm sain, etc.

Swnllyd is a very useful word when you have kids. :joy:

3 Likes