Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Thanks @Sionned. :slight_smile:
p.s. I remember that when I first started, seeing a scheme of mutations rules drove me straight into despair. :smiley:
But now that quite a few things have started to become familiar, this is definitely helpful!

1 Like

Iasgobanw - mae hynna’n wych!
Blimey - that’s brilliant!

:open_mouth:

2 Likes

OK @garethrking, how does Iasgobanw work as a word? Iasgob as in Esgob, instead of Iesu, which could be considered blasphemous and anw as in enw? I’m sorry, I appear to be answering my own question. It’s just that it’s not in GPC or G Translate.

Yes Margaret - iasgob is gog variant of esgob (and yes, no doubt a taboo substitution for Iesu); while anw is not enw but annwyl - dear bishop!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there an idiom for “love hate relationship” in Welsh please?

Hi. I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here but I have a question about an idiom too. I was wondering how to say “I owe you one.” Thanks.

The translation is “mae arna i un i ti” and I gather ar for owe can be idiomatic. In the sense of “mae arnat ti barch iddo” - you owe him respect is an example given by geiriadur yr academi :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch. So I could say “mae arna i coffee i ti”?

1 Like

You can indeed.

Mae arna i goffi i ti :slight_smile:

Du heb sigwr i mi diolch :wink:

1 Like

S’mae bawb!

I have a question about song lyrics.

Bryn Fôn’s song Tre’ Porthmadog has a line in it which seems to say: “Ffarwel i’r copa cnechda’r Wyddfa”

The only word I can guess “cnechda” could be is “cnicht” in GPC. Which kind of makes sense: “farewell to the peak of the knight Yr Wyddfa” - is that right?

Second question:
It also seems to have the “Palio llechi glas o 'Stiniog…”
Is it Palio? or is it Pa liw? or something completely different??

I can’t find a copy of the song online to listen to you. I’ve found the lyrics but they have loads of spelling mistakes in it so I’m doubting them :confused:

Diolch ymlaen llaw :slight_smile:

Cnicht is a mountain visible from Porthmadog - ironically you can see it from Snowdon Street which leads a lot of visitors thinking it’s Snowdon. The line could maybe be “Ffarwel i’r copau Cnicht a’r Wyddfa”? (disclaimer - I haven’t had a listen yet!)

As for the second, I’m thinking maybe it might be halio (to haul*) rather than palio (doesn’t appear to be a word!), as Porthmadog was the port from where huge amounts of slate quarried in Ffestiniog was exported.

*warning - be aware this verb also has a second, ruder, meaning… so do be careful which context you apply it to! :thinking::astonished::flushed::laughing:

1 Like

That makes perfect sense!! That’s brilliant diolch!

Halio also makes more sense and I promise I’m definitely not looking up the rude meaning right now :lying_face:

Diolch yn fawr Siaron!

2 Likes

I’m listening to it now and the line in question is: “Ffarwel i’r Cob a Cnicht ar Wyddfa,” (Farewell to the Cob and Cnicht and Snowdon) the Cob being the embankment that was built to reclaim the land and has the road and Ffestiniog Railway running along it.

2 Likes

The other line you queried definitely sounds like, “Halio’r llechi glas o 'Stiniog,” to me, so @siaronjames’s guess was right.

1 Like

Ahhh! That also makes sense! I’ve always been rubbish with lyrics. Whatever the language!

Thank you :grin:

1 Like

Well the reference to the Cob is easier to hear if you are familiar with Porthmadog.

I’m not very good at catching lyrics, even in English, but it’s something that one of the tutors does sometimes on the Summer School. It’s amazing how clear the words sound when she finally gives us the lyrics to read! :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, TBH, I’ve only been to the area a few handful of times in my life, but it feels like an other home to me (OK, I’m getting weird now!)

Anyway, I enjoyed crossing the Cob, after learning about it from @beca-brown. Also I remember Cnicht from my childhood as a sort of mini Matterhorn and love the Stiniog Blue Slate.

OK I’m off to take a chill pill :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve climbed cnicht. It was absolutely beautiful. I’ll never forget it.

4 Likes

It’s copyright infringement, or something… sue her! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No no, Stephen - free publicity, I call it… :wink:

2 Likes