Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yes. Naeth is the frequently shortened version of wnaeth - good spot!

1 Like

Just double checked, it’s definitely “naeth” said “nâth”

Today I saw the sentence " Dwi am sôn i…" I’ve never seen it before so I googled it and it said it means “I want to talk to…” I don’t always trust google so wondered if anyone knew because I’m only used to seeing “dw i isio siarad efo…”

1 Like

The ‘am’ in this context points at a future intention so more like ‘I intend talking to / going to talk to’.

But saying that, those ‘wanting to / intending to’ sentences in english have blurred lines, don’t they?

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr. It sometimes seems the more I learn, the less I feel like I know

2 Likes

Tell me about it.

3 Likes

yes Awgrymu (verb) / Awgrymell(noun) - comes across to me as “to suggest/ a suggestion”

I believe 'na fe is a shortening of dyna fe

'na fo Ive heard in the north but not sure if common there

ok so you are a learner trying to be a teacher in Conwy? Cool

Awgrymell/Suggestion
I strongly suggest getting a job in an English medium school along the Conwy coast…why? Because the council has agreed to move all English medium schools there over the next decade to “mainly English but with significant Welsh” which means english only speaking teachers are being trained up/will need more training, which is good news for you.

The new Welsh curriculum coming in 2022 removes Welsh 2nd language and replaces it with a continuum(so blurs with welsh medium) …next three years will see much welsh training to reassure you as a teacher (as long as the funding comes!! - and we cant predict future)

2 Likes

" Does gen i ddim syniad pryd mae’r trên yn cyrraedd."

using clem (notion/clue) might be better for this context instead of ‘syniad’ from what tutors tell me…but others please correct

have heard lloer spoken in NE Wales by some older people ( rhosllannerchrugog area origin) who claim it was more common…but im sure its dying back to the written language for good or bad

1 Like

I believe 'na fe is a shortening of dyna fe

I’m pretty sure that’s right

1 Like

Thanks for the top tip. Would need great to access even more training in Welsh. Have been trying to get a job locally along the Welsh coast for nearly a decade now but many of them insist on being fluent in Welsh even though they are an English medium school. Apparently each school in Conwy, for example, has been allowed to decide itself - governors and staff - whether they want to offer posts to only fluent Welsh speakers, which is where I fall down unfortunately. Have managed to secure temporary posts and maternity covers as well as some supply work but it’s a real pain when I know I’m a really good teacher who has proven myself more than capable of teaching Welsh to primary agreed children, above and beyond the level they are expected to achieve. Definitely makes me more confident having done the SSI course but guess my written Welsh will never be fluent or grammatically correct enough for the standards they require. Will keep trying though xx

That’s interesting - could be a dialect thing, perhaps…

Tiny question from a new learner (halfway through Level 1), possibly involving a mutation – sorry! – but hopefully with a quick answer.

I’d like to include ‘Welsh learner’ in some profile bio info. I got as far as ‘dysgwr Cymraeg’ initially. Now it’s dawned on me that maybe this should be ‘dysgwraig’ in my case for a female learner. But then does that cause a mutation on Cymraeg because of a feminine noun? And so … dysgwraig Gymraeg? Or something else?

I know we’re not supposed to worry about mutations early on. I promise I’m not worried about it. Just, you know, curious. :wink:

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Hi, yes. I’m fairly certain that you are correct because Dysgwraig is a feminine noun.

If it was obvious that you were referring to learning the Welsh language you could leave it at that, or even just use Dysgwr, depending on your preference. But as you say, Dysgwraig Gymraeg would seem to be the official term.

2 Likes

Diolch John. That’s helpful to have it confirmed and good to know I seem to have worked out a mutation correctly. I like the look and sound of the word ‘dysgwraig’ (probably something wraith-like appealing to the old goth in me) so Dysgwraig Gymraeg it is.

Such a big fan of SSiW already. Excellent course and a lovely community. Cymru am byth!

2 Likes

And it rhymes. Bargen!

2 Likes

Two questions … the final one is a bit obscure!

1. What are the different ways of saying “just” in Welsh? … learning in the community means I hear ‘jest’ and ‘jyst’ so much I’m maybe forgetting the others ways of saying just in Welsh.

I know ‘newydd’ (just about) and ‘dim ond’ (not but/ only) can be used in context for just…but my feeling is that there are times ‘just’ was a concept/word not needed in Welsh in the past, hence why with modern media we have imported the English ‘just’ into speech to adapt to changing ways of speaking about modern concepts?

• Is something like “cyrraedd” (arriving/reaching) related?
  1. Is there a standalone Welsh word for farm historically?
    Is the concept of a farm not a very ‘welsh/old welsh thing’ traditionally as everything is spelt “fferm”. I realise the English spelling ‘farm’ comes from french and then latin which made me think… was there an older word for Welsh farms? (Was tyddyn it or related to amaeth?)

Is a farm something as a concept brought in with feudalism(hence latin origin->french>English)?
I wonder what the old Welsh/Brythonic celts called agricultural plots…warned you this was obscure… but my family are farmers so it relates to me personally :innocent::rofl::joy:
Diolch am unrhyw help

Okay, here’s an answer based on the two dictionaries I use most.

1. Gareth King has several different words for “just” such as:
    a - newydd - just now (as you mentioned)
    b - gynnau - just now in the preterite/past (be’ wedodd e gynnau?)
    c - ar fin - about to (do something)
    d - yn union - immediately (as in ‘just before that happened’)
    e - yn union - exactly (that’s just what I said)
    f - o’r braidd - barely (he just escaped)
    g - dim ond, yn unig - only (just a week ago)
    h - yr un - as in ‘just (as big)’
    i - cyflawn - second definition - fair or just (as in justice)

2, For a different term for farm, in addition to fferm GM (Y Geiriadur Mawr) has the word tyddyn meaning “small holding, small farm.”

2 Likes