Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Is there a difference in pronunciation/sound between daeth (as past tense of to come) and daith (taith with mutation)?

Not when I say it :slight_smile:

I should add, you might get a shortened ae in some places like you do with Llaeth in some places - more of an â sound. But I dont know for certain.

1 Like

Try widening the mouth a little when you say daeth.

I remember @CatrinLliarJones explaining the difference between saith (7) and saeth (arrow) and that’s how it looked to me. Saith is straight, saeth is with a wider, almost smiling mouth. It’s not a big difference but there is one. You’ll mostly get it from context anyway.

2 Likes

Ok, that will help!

The problem with understanding, at the moment, is that i kinda get stuck when I understand a word that seems really odd in the context - before I realize it might be another one that just sounds similar.
Well just like with English, I must say, but I’m just slower to browse options in Welsh and I’m sure I’m still missing quite a few.

However I hope also saeth are straight in Wales, or it may get kinda risky if you happen to get close to an archer! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve heard both llaeth sounding more like llath and more like llaith, but no dath so far! :smiley:
Edit: oh, just listened to challenge 18 in Level 3 again and Iestyn mentioned the “dath”-sounding version, too.

Well, then there’s the difference between llaeth (milk) and llaith (moist). :wink:

2 Likes

:hushed:
…just when I thought I’d never have trouble with that! :weary:

1 Like

So after ymweld, you use â or ag but do you use them after any other verbs?

I can think of two quickly…
cwrdd
siarad (although often it’s gyda/efo)

There are more though I’m sure :slight_smile:

Feels a bit like the personal ‘a’ in Spanish but
… not quite. I just didnt realised it’s the same one I’ve used with siarad because I haven’t see it written before.

Cwrdd â: to meet with, comes to mind from the Challenges.

Not sure about “sgwrs”: chat. I tend to just let the sound or feel of the phrases sink in without really overthinking.

ymuno and cysylltu also use â. It’s with, I don’t speak enough Spanish to know sorry…

Sgwrsio does :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch…yeah that Spanish bit was just me thinking out loud really!

1 Like

Yes I think you are right. It can be Dath, Ath and Nath. :grinning:. Also on the radio this morning, two people talking about a beach. One saying traeth, and the other saying trath :grinning:

2 Likes

oh yes, there are loads of verbs that need â/ag - far too many to list. A very handy little book for checking is this one:

1 Like

Dioch yn fawr!

If you look at the Vocabulary List for lesson 21 it says “ddylwn i ddim” - I shouldn’t.

Oops! You’re absolutely right! (Though not too many people would notice either way you say it.)

I remember being baffled hearing it for the first time too, lol.

And this, with ddylwn i ddim, for an Italian it’s particularly funny because it seems they’re talking about the political situation here - veleni = poison, also in figurative sense, and Dem is a way to refer to the Democrat political party! :rofl:
@carol-smith