Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

When someone asks you how long have you been learning, SSiW gives an answer with am (am biti mis, for example).

But if you want to be more precise, can you use ers like ers blwyddyn a dau mis or ers Gorffennaf 2018, for example?

This tense doesn’t exist in Italian and I haven’t a very clear idea about how to use it in English as well!

1 Like

“Mae fy ffôn 'di marw!”?

“Gwefr” is charge, “gwefru” to charge. I don’t know whether “does na’m gwefr ar fy ffôn.” is correct though.

3 Likes

Yes, “ers” is good. (Remember saying fis after 2.) :grinning:

“Dwi’n dysgu ers mis Awst, 2011.”

3 Likes

Uh, right, thanks. I must speak about months more often to remember those!:smile:

By the way one more doubt on the tense.
If I want to say I had been learning

O’n i wedi bod yn dysgu?

4 Likes

Hi I’m struggling with that tricky emphasis SY’N verses YDY choice. I found a post on Reddit that seemed to make it seem understandable but then came up against “Pa un sy’n well gyda Sian” and then “Fy Hoff Beth ydy nofio yn y môr”.

Have I got this right? The first has the emphasis on “which one” not Sian who is the person doing the thing. Emphasis on thing not the person, so the verb bit is the preferring but the emphasis is on the subject of the preferring not Sian who is doing the preferring?:worried:

The second sentence has the emphasis on “fy hoff beth”. Which is straight comparison? like The cat is black.:hushed:

Also do the question words have their own patterns as in "pa " always uses sy’n
Beth always uses ydy
Ble yw ?
Or would that be too easy?
Any help would be appreciated
Confused and dispairing Jo

This took me ages to,write so any tricks to help sort this out?

1 Like

Yes. :+1:

@jo-hornagold1 This should help …

4 Likes

Yesssss! Thanks so much!

1 Like

From the look of them they are quite good but I’ve not used them before. I did register and do half of an online course, but not one of these, a few years ago, and the best I could say was that it was acceptable because what I entered on my keyboard wasn’t what came up on the screen and the techie people were no longer involved in it. But these ones look as though they are free. Give it a go, tell us how it goes.

1 Like

Dal can also mean “to hold onto” something to … onid e? Is it not?

Common phrase for getting the kids/humans in Mid Wales I heard…was “pigo lan” - picking up
In North you could swap ‘lan’ for ‘fyny’

Pigiad gwaed being a blood test haha

Ffa pob - Baked beans

(pobi - to bake)
Popty - bakery (bakehouse)

Popty ping - fun word invented by a kid a while back to mean Microwave (Meicrodôn)

Gisella … to answer your question … ‘dim byd’ is not originally or technically “nothing” … it means ‘anything’ traditionally … dim is not directly translatable into English as “no” either (although basically the same concept) - zero is a hindi invention for the strange notion of nothing … there isnt even a true vacuum in the universe!

… but in modern Welsh revival terms its been used as ‘No’

Sa i’n gwybod dim byd is good Welsh … but ‘unrhywbeth’ will be understood although a bit less natural to older ears

No where I need Gareth or Sioned (neu pwy bynnag) … is for the use of “rhywbeth” to mean anything in context … as the ‘un’ part of unrhywbeth can be dropped!

Rhywbeth arall? Anything(something) else ?

Ive heard ‘Dwi’n gwybod dim’ but dont take this as gospel

yes - dal has a few meanings: to catch, to hold, to continue, to detect

1 Like

Use of ‘dyma’ … Dyma ti - Here you are/Here you go / Dyma fe - Here it is… etc

Dyna ni —> Na ni - “Well there we are” …Dyna = There … further away (historically beyond arm reach)

Dacw (yonder) is even further away than dyna

Didnt know about ‘to detect’ :open_mouth:

It’s very closly linked with ‘catch’ in it’s ‘detect’ useage - to detect someone in the act =
dal rhywun wrthi / dal rhywun ar y weithred

1 Like

aaaa Dwi’n deall nawr!

(quick little question … can I use “Wela i” to mean “I understand (Oh I see!)” - a book told me it was a good phrase for “I see what you mean”
… because I use it - ar y stryd - and can never tell if people are quietly thinking GWALL/ERROR! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi everyone. What a brilliant thread!

I came across this written online today: ‘Dw i’n meddwl dy fod yn meddwl “dyma” a nid “gyda”.’

1. Is that: ‘I think that you mean “dyma” and not “gyda”’?
  2. Is it the same as saying ‘dw i’n meddwl bo’ ti’n meddwl …’, and perhaps more appropriate in written Welsh, or is it something different altogether?

Cheers, --Antony

1 Like

“bo’ ti” is quick slangy spoken Welsh heard in speech.

Dy fod di - that you
Ei fod o/e - that he
Ei bod hi - that she
Eich bod chi - that you plural/posh
Eu bod nhw - that they
Ein bod ni - that we

notice bod -> fod due to mutation reasons (eich never causes mutation but dy always does etc)…but please dont get hung up on that…just accept them as part of learning stuff…

Bod - to be (Im thinking be you thinking - sounds weird in English lol)

2 Likes