Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

In any case, it seems appropriate at least for for these mountains! :grin:

p.s. Sorry, Sunday silliness!

4 Likes

I’ve just come across the word syllu. Is it interchangeable with gwylio(neu fy ffefryn, “watsio”) or is it one those things with a subtle difference? If it it is different, could anyone some up how?

Hi @GeorgeMcKenzie

I think syllu is to stare…so it has a bit of a harder or prolonged look in its meaning :smile:

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In school I learnt to say ‘mae te gyda fe’ rather than ‘mae gyda fi te.’ we learn with SSIW. I’m just wondering if both are right and is there some reason? I’ve found myself switching to mae gyda fi rhywbeth now so I’m not concerned, just curious

Both forms are fine, it’s simply a question of personal preference.
If you do use the second form and care about correct mutations, note that the object undergoes soft mutation:
Mae te gyda fi. / Mae gyda fi de.

1 Like

I leant mae te gyda fi in school but now, gyda fi de is engrained in my brain

1 Like

I have a question about “ni(d)”: I thought this was largely absent in spoken Welsh, but while watching an episode of “Now You’re Talking” yesterday, I’m sure Elin Rhys said “Nid twnnel Hafren” and then translated this as “Not the Severn tunnel”. I actually skipped back a little to watch it again, as I was surprised to hear “nid”. Is this normal? I was expecting “Dim twnnel Hafren”.

I’d use nid like that too. So, things like “nid pob un” - not every one. To me dim, outside of “bod + ddim” means “no” rather than not. So “dim twnnel Hafren” would be “no Severn Tunnel”.

That’s just my take though and what sounds right to my ear.

“ni” as in “Ni hoffwn” I don’t hear, but that’s a bit different to nid…I think

1 Like

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Perhaps my perception that “nid” isn’t found in spoken Welsh is a misconception based around its use with verbs, as you suggest.

If Prifysgol is benywaidd why doesn’t it mutate the placename in the title?
Prifysgol Caerdydd ≠ Prifysgol Gaerdydd
Prifysgol Bangor ≠ Prifysgol Fangor

1 Like

Ive noticed a few proper nouns that don’t always mutate. Didnt we have a discussion in the past about Sir Penfro? Also local colleagues explained to me that a -Ddewi near Narberth, possibly Llanddewi, is pronounced Dewi.

1 Like

I remember that conversation but that was a mistake I believe, it should be Sir Benfro.

2 Likes

What does “osos” mean please? In the wild - Perhaps “wsos”. Im guessing from eisos rather than wythnos. Is that right and would it be “already” rather than “nevertheless” please?

The Beatles are very helpful. How else can you tell people you’re a walrus, and you live in a yellow submarine? Or that Lucy’s in the sky with diamonds? :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve heard ‘wsos’ for wythnos a lot so perhaps this is what you’ve heard also.

To be honest I’ve only heard ‘eisoes’ pronounced as it looks and I’ve never used it or heard it used as ‘nevertheless’.

1 Like

Exactly! :laughing:
Now you’re kidding but accidentally, the first written lyrics someone gave me were from the later period. I had no translation nor dictionary, so I just followed the sounds and remembered those I liked best. Among the first things I’ve learned to repeat there’s “Expert, texpert choking smokers” and “plasticine porters with looking-glass ties”. :rofl:

I’m still waiting for an opportunity to use them in real life, nonetheless they inspired me to keep on learning English!

2 Likes

Due to ill health ( lack of spoons) I’ve had to start again and will be in touch again when I’ve got back up to where I was (marbles permitting).

Good wishes to everybody, especially to my fellow strugglers.

1 Like

I remember learning this once … a while ago … and I think it’s something to do with the fact that it’s the name of an institution and that the placename isn’t acting as an adjective describing the ‘prifysgol’, but I can’t remember the detail of the explanation, sorry.

2 Likes

Diolch Deborah :slight_smile:

That makes sense. So that’s why it’s Dinas Caerdydd not Gaerdydd too.

1 Like

I’m wondering about the idiomatic kind of way you talk to someone who’s pregnant! Could anyone tell me how you say in Welsh something like:
When are you due?
How far along are you?
What are you expecting?

Diolch!

1 Like