Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Sounds like a great idea! :smile:

I think reading the stuff you have already said in SSIW (from a page in a book) makes it seem so ‘normal’…it seems to consolidate it somehow just by seeing it there…

…and of course inevitably other words get used as well and that widens your vocab.

I do think it is something where you need to feel like you are ready first…but once you get started, it is quite a boost. :sunny:

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aha! “O’r enw” might be just the construction i’m looking for! Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks very much!

I went to the local Eisteddfod on Saturday evening and someone entered the llefaru with a poem called ‘cul Cymru’ does anyone know if , who it is written by and how to find a copy?

Cul Cymru is a poem by Mari Sian Stevens which appears in her book Brasluniau (which won the Urdd literature medal in 2000). I can’t find a copy of the poem online, but the book seems to be available.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1870394763/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i2

If you’re doing the course with a monthly £10 subscription, then you’ll still have access to Level 3 and the Advanced Content after that, but if you’ve officially ‘finished’ the Deep End, I’m not sure if you’ll still see your Control Panel. You may do, but to be certain just send an email to admin@saysomethingin.com and we can pause you on the last week until you’re ready to actually finish :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks so much @siaronjames I’ve just ordered it. The other I am trying to find is one that was used in the 13-16 llefaru at the National this year. It is called Gwawr by Tony Bianchi but I can’t find what book it is in. I was stewarding in the preliminaries and when they started I was struggling to understand but after 35 versions of the same poem I got it! I am developing a love of llefaru and its an excellent way to learn.

1 Like

nope, I can’t find that one either - I can only find one volume of poetry by Tony Bianchi (he mostly wrote novels), and it doesn’t appear to be in that. I’ll try to remember to have another look later, but I have a meeting to go to in 5 minutes!

Thank you @DeborahSSiW. I’ve nearly caught up but a pause on the last week would be great. i’ll do that.

I keep coming across the negative construction “Nyd wyn…, or nyd wyf etc” in written Welsh, including famously in the opening line of Calon Lan, but I have no idea when or how to use it, or if it’s just a literary usage. Any tips, or can I safely ignore it?

You can safely ignore it. However, it does come in handy.

Nid wyf is quite literary. Nid does get used in speech though. As was asked earlier the difference between “Nid Pont Hafren” and “dim Pont Hafren”; difference being - Nid = not, dim=no. In speech everything is fluid and both are used interchangeably.

1 Like

Thanks Anthony

In Croesi’r bont by Zöe Pettinger: “Ei mam-gu oedd wedi ysbrydoli Leuci”…
Does oedd wedi ysbrydoli here, mean “was inspiring”?. If so, is it the same as Roedd ei mam-gu ysbrydoli, please?

Roedd + wedi = had. :grinning:

Her gran had inspired Leici.

4 Likes

For “need”, the Southern Welsh course teaches the passive “Mae isie i fi…”, rather than the active “Dw i angen…”. Presumably the latter is still understood and used in the south, though perhaps not as often as the former? And vice versa in the north?

absolutely - there may still be some who’ve never heard what the opposite end use, but on the whole there’s not much problem these days.

2 Likes

Thanks Siaron - I confess I was feeling a little ‘gogledd envy’, as the ‘angen’ construction comes more naturally to a native English speaker. I’m learning the southern dialect as I’m from Cardiff originally, but am sorely tempted to throw in a few angens when I get the chance!

1 Like

Don’t worry about it - you can use whichever you feel comfortable with. I’m from Monmouth originally and started with Southern dialect but have long since moved to Caernarfon so I basically speak ‘mix-and-match’ now!

2 Likes

Am I the only person here who says, " ges ti Amsterdam?" when asked to say yn Gymraeg "did you have a good time? "

5 Likes

Ha ha. My wife Glenda asked me why I kept saying Haagen Dazs to Ceiri, Cartin & Aran’s dog (Hogyn Da - for Good boy).

3 Likes