Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

yeah pretty much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I had a hard time remembering the English sentences in this set of challenges, so I wrote them down at some point. And unless you’re referring to a different one, this was actually:

You’d tell me she didn’t want to answer the question, wouldn’t you?
Which would explain the bod…yndefe? :smiley:

The one right before in the challenge is:
You’d tell me if you knew wouldn’t you
that in fact/instead is translated as:
Byddet ti’n dweud wrtha i set ti’n gwbod, yn fyddet?

Makes sense?

Hi Gisella - I just went back to check, and you’re absolutely right. I must have misheard it. That restores a bit of order in the universe, after all! Thanks

Oh, you know it’s just that I realized I was puzzled and misheard them and forgot them so often that I decided to write the longer ones at some point!!!
Glad it helped restore the order in the universe too. :smile: :sun_with_face::first_quarter_moon::ringer_planet::star:

Hope this merits a quick and simple answer.

I am half way through level 2, and have become aware that that is translated as bod, or y, or taw, but have not a clue as to which to use when or if they are always interchangeable?

1 Like

Hi @Cwyfan

There was a discussion about this a little while ago with a summary in this post here

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Two quick questions:

1. In this headline form yesterday’s Golwg360, they use ‘nad’ where I was expecting ‘nag’. What’s the difference, and when/why use one rather than the other? Pryderon nad yw plant Cymru’n dysgu “stori eu cymuned na’u gwlad”

2. The course has given us the “So” negative options for I (Sa i), he (So fe), you formal (So chi) and we (So ni), but not for ti, hi and nhw. I would guess these are all 'So", too, but would be grateful for confirmation.

1 Like
  1. The southern course indeed teaches nag in these instances, and it is what you will predominantly hear in spoken Welsh, at least in the south. But in (formal) writing you’re more likely to find nad. They both mean the same.

2. Yes, like you say, it’s only Sa i’n, all other forms use So …

Thanks Hendrik. Always good to hear there are no complications to get my head round!

Quick “idiom or typo” question, reading Harri Potter – “I ffwrdd â nhw nhw i mewn i’r coed…” And they were off, into the wood - but why nhw nhw?

1 Like

typo / gwall ?

2 questions

1. I understand that it is ‘nac oes’ in written welsh and sounds like ‘nag oes’ in speech (not sure why) … and I accept that you get ‘nad’ (literature only?) and ‘nid’ for not (not sure why again!)

but a dictionary phrase for ‘under-rated’ was ‘nas gwerthfawrogir ddigon’ … why ‘nas’ for a negative in literature?

1. …cwestion haws / easier question

What is the Welsh for

‘Without further ado’ … is ‘ado’ some old fossil in english too?

Just accidentally read a calendar of events and noticed: Nos Fercher

But why “nos da” and not “nos dda”?

I know da is an adjective and mercher…I don’t know what it is but probably not an adjective, and that might make a difference, but anyway!

Weird random rule, ‘d’ doesn’t soft mutate after ‘s’.

I read it somewhere in the past, :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Maybe it could be because it makes it a little easier to pronounce? ‘d’ following ‘s’ sounds pretty much like ‘st’ and the tip of the tongue when saying ‘s’ would be more or less in the right place for saying ‘t’, I think, but might have to move a bit further to make the ‘dd’ sound?

3 Likes

4 Likes

Geiriadur Academi gives these options:
ar unwaith,
heb ragor o lol,
yn ddiymdroiyn,
heb hel dail

3 Likes

I like this. :wink:

3 Likes

@gisella-albertini …only for that set phrase I think “nos da”…because nos ddu = dark night in dictionary - unless nos ddu is the exception … who is the Welsh version of Sherlock Holmes…because we need him/her :smiley:

1 Like

gwneud synnwyr! …/ makes sense!

had a quick look
ado = a state of agitation or fuss, especially about something unimportant.

Heb ragor o lol - is very to the point therefore !

Heb hel dail is more poetic though!

2 Likes