Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yes it carried on with a thread on Aled’s Twitter account, if anyone follows him. :slight_smile:

Diolch Siaron! :blush:

1 Like

I was listening to a song I found, staring at the pretty lyrics, and then it occurred to me. In some places, the line starts with “a paid”, and in others it’s “a phaid”. Can anyone explain why the initial consonants are different, even though the preceding word is the same?

I think because it better fits the tune. Sometimes A…? is a way to start a question, but that’s not the case here. So I think it’s just poetic licence.

1 Like

:thinking: ‘a’ meaning ‘and’ causes aspirate mutation (p -> ph) - in theory and in practice in things like ‘halen a phupur’ - salt and pepper…so it could be a subtly different line beginning with ‘…and…’ ?

Rich :slight_smile:

As Rich said, ‘a’ (and, also â) technically causes an aspirate mutation, but of all the mutations, the aspirate is the one most commonly ‘ignored’ in speech - personally I don’t think there is a conscious decision or reason behind the variation here, I think it’s just what comes out naturally and, possibly, the singers maybe aren’t even aware that they’re doing it.

1 Like

What’s “na ni” in colloquial Welsh?
Like a lady telling a kid who has completed a task: “Oh na ni, da iawn!”
Dyna ni? :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah, dyna ni … there we are.

2 Likes

“there we are, then” is a very common Wenglish phrase with multiple uses where I live. In any circumstance when you want to draw a line under something, a conversation, a section of a conversation, a bit of work, a co-operative activity, anything really, “well, there we are, then” is the signal that it’s time to move on.

3 Likes

Yes - what @siaronjames said.

The oedd further down the sentence in these examples is really a oedd, with the a (who/which/that) normally dropped in speech.

Entry 2 in the new book, which indeed includes the example:

Y bobol (a) oedd yn y stafell aros
The people who were in the waiting room

2 Likes

potsian as in the potter about/faff about?

Question
Dwi’n torri bara â chyllell - Im cutting bread with a knife (ch - aspirate mutation after â)

Dwi’n cerdded ar hyd y rhodfa gyda Gwenda - I’m walking along the promenade/row with Gwenda

â - seems to be using something with an object… and gyda seems to mean ‘with’ as in 'accompanying …

Can you ever use â in this context with a person … maybe comedic effect? Dwi’n torri bara â Iestyn? :smiley: …literally using his body to cut something (very odd sounding)

Appreciate the adborth/feedback

Going through some lyrics.
Is ‘ella’ short for efallai?

And this sentence is throwing me a little:
'fe gennai’m bwriad mynd ym mhell

I have seen ‘dwi’m’ as short for ‘dw i ddim’ but also feel like there’s use of the ‘’ ’m ‘’ other than to show ‘ddim’.

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

'm from ddim yes.

ella is northern welsh for efallai (perhaps)

falle is heard south of say Machynlleth/Aberystwyth/llandrindod/builth for the word efallai by the way

Just that
As you say, â means “with”
I think that Gyda = Gyd â = Together with (a person/people)

1 Like

diolch. thanks :slight_smile:

A beginner’s question: should someone new to the course work through the publicly available material before subscribing to something like the 12 month course? Or could the 12 month course be done independently?

Thank you to anyone who may answer! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, Chris. I learnt before the structured (6 or 12 month) courses were introduced. But my understanding is that the structured course use the publicly available material (audio Challenges), and add to it with tutor support, etc.

So, no - there wouldn’t be any need or advantage to work through both as you would just be covering the same material twice, in a sense.

1 Like

Excellent. Thank you John!

1 Like

I noticed your name included “galloway” in it … so here’s something to blow your mind as an aside :smiley: - think places like “Caerlaverock / dumfries”

1 Like