Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Well that’s no good! I’ll have to learn a different language to get my T-shirt now…!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a shame it’s one of our non-parallel phrases. The only other option is to turn to Wenglish - “wyt ti wedi trio switsio fe off ac on eto” :wink:

4 Likes

Given I’m the only Welsh speaker in the building, I’d probably get away with it!

3 Likes

I’ve seen the question “Ydy dy blant di yn yr ysgol?” written as “Ydi dy blant di yn yr ysgol?”, with an “i” instead of a “y.” Is there a reason this is happening? Diolch!

There is a reason, yes. y and i are quite similar in sound (in that position of the word, mind you, the first y sounds different), so writing ydi instead of ydy is just a consequence of that.
In northern dialects the difference between y and i is more pronounced, so you’re more likely to find this writing when representing southern speech – where another variant is odi.

1 Like

What’s the difference between adre and adref? Is it the same? Is it mynd adre but aros adref? Can’t seem to figure it out on my own…

Adre and adref are the same - the f is often dropped, so ‘mynd adre’ and ‘mynd adref’ are exactly the same, BUT with ‘aros’, you’d use gartre or gartref (again, the f is often dropped) because ‘adre/f’ implies movement (like homewards) whereas gartre/f means ‘at home’.

2 Likes

Thank you SO much! I get it now.

1 Like

I have a problem understanding part of a sentence in Level 1 Challenge 22 (south) of SSiW. At about 12:50 in there is a sentence which translates from the English, “My mother told me that your mother doesn’t like football”. The Cymraeg for this is (and please forgive the speflling) , " Dweud oedd fy mam wrthai i NA GW dy fam di yn hoffi pel-droed". The bit in uppercase doesn’t appear to have any explanation and is vexing me. Can any one offer any info as to what this is please?
Diolch,
Gareth

1 Like

Don’t worry about spelling at this stage (it’s SAY something in, not SPELL something in! :wink: )
Dwedodd fy mam wrtha i nad yw dy fam yn hoffi pêl-droed

The “nad yw” is the “that doesn’t”. Although ‘yw’ means ‘is’ or, as in this case, ‘does’, the ‘nad’ is a negative ‘that’, so the yw, when preceded by nad becomes ‘isn’t’ or as in this case, ‘doesn’t’.

Also, ‘nag yw’ rather than ‘nad yw’ is perfectly normal, just a dialect thing.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr Siaron for being my translator!:wink:

1 Like

I’m nearing the end of level 1 South and have arrived at the introduction of ‘I heard’. I couldn’t quite hear what the phrase is so I looked it up using an online translator and it gave me ‘Clywais’, whereas I think ‘Clywes i’ is being said on the audio recordings. I’ve had similar confusion with other conjugations and wondered if someone could explain what the difference between these two ways of saying what would appears to be the same thing.
Thanks,
Gareth

There is no difference but in spelling. The standard spelling is clywais i, but in southern speech that sounds like clywes i, and occasionally you’ll find it written that way, too. In general you’ll find both -ais and -es endings for first person singular past tense, and similarly -aist and -est for the second person (welaist ti / welest ti for example)

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr Hendrik. Clearly I’m thinking it’s more complex than it really is.

Put the noun first in Welsh then the adjectives :slight_smile: although there are a few exceptions like ‘hen’ (old) going first

Saw a shop called ‘Siop esgidiau ar gered’

Is ‘ar gered’ a preposition?.. does it mean ‘to go/to move’ … or is it a form of ‘to believe’ . cered/credu?

I can’t find a translation of this phrase anywhere!

cered is a form of cerdded, but that’s as far as I can help - it has mutated after the ‘ar’ as you’d expect, but I don’t know why it’s conjugated with ‘ar’ in the first place (although admittedly, I did only skim through GPC so may have missed something)

1 Like

Found this on kimkat.org …hen hen wefan!

4 Likes

Good work Brynle!

2 Likes

A local bbc site claims “cered” is “tafodiaith canolbarth”/mid walian dialect … so I’ll take it … although I saw that ‘ar gered’ sign in Caerfyddin/Carmarthen! - so maybe more widepsread than they claim?:smiley:

Anyone know what the nuanced meaning of ‘syniad’ (idea) is here? Diolch

Syniad da sounds better to me … “Might be a GOOD idea to check and update your internet browser”