Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Aha, thanks, that’s good to know. If I sign up to pay at lesson 15 can I then jump back to that point so I don’t need to repeat any content?

Once you are signed up, you have access to all material within the app. If you sign up for a structured course, you’ll also receive material through email, but like I said, for a while that material will consist of things you have already heard.

Brill, thanks for all your help :grinning:

So, when talking about something, the sentences on the southern course change subtly but i don’t know why. I’m not sure if my spelling is correct by the gist is: “We talked about it” goes to “on i’n siarad am danni”, “what do you think about the book we talked about?” goes to "Beth o ti’n meddwl am yr llyfr on i’n siarad am danno fe? " and talking about something else ended in just “… am danno”. Is this to do with the gender of the subject of tge conversation?
Thanks
Gareth

yup, exactly.
‘am’ conjugates - as do several prepositions.
amdanaf - about me
amdanat - about you
am - about the book
amdani - about her / about it (feminine noun)
amdano - about him / about it (masculine noun)
amdanon - about us
amdanoch - about you
amdanyn(t) - about them

1 Like

Thanks Siaron but that means ‘about the book’ would be ‘am y llyfr’ and so what happens to ‘… the book we talked about’?
I don’t understand whether the use of ‘…am danno’ and ‘…am danno fe’ are really different or like when you say ‘your coffee’ as ‘dy goffi’ or ‘dy goffi di’.

In Welsh, it kind of translates as “the book we talked about it/him”, so we can say
Nathon ni siarad am y llyfr - we talked about the book
or
Y llyfr nathon ni siarad amdano - the book we talked about (it/him)

It is similar to the split pronoun where you can leave off the final bit - as long as you have the conjugated preposition, you can leave off the i/ti/fe/hi etc, so I guess I should have put it like this:
amdanaf (fi)
amdanat (ti)
amdani (hi)
amdano (fe/fo)
amdanon (ni)
amdanoch (chi)
amdanyn(t) (nhw)

2 Likes

Thank you again. The penny has dropped. I understand. https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.03294bfad75bbc02f857934063a3e2f6&pid=Api&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F26n6R5HOYPbekK0YE%2Fgiphy.gif&ehk=D7cE%2B0gXzz1YrUImKhhl5LpMt%2BsmluQ3gcBZEVCZU8o%3D

2 Likes

I’m not a Welsh speaker -yet but I would say ‘Croeso’

Ok, I thought “that’s children for you” was a weird thing to ever want to say in Welsh - or any other language.
But this one from Duolingo (that I’m trying again during lockdown) definitely beats it! :rofl:

translate

What in the world does this mean? :thinking:

1 Like

A “pet hate” is a colloquial phrase meaning something you particularly dislike. It’s quite commonly used in English. I don’t know if Welsh has an equivalent.

1 Like

A ‘pet hate’ in Welsh is “casbeth” - literally “hate thing”. A definition in English is a minor annoyance that a person identifies as particularly annoying to them, to a greater degree than it may be to others

4 Likes

I’m struggling with two phrases on Level 2 Challenge 15:

1 dau y peth gorau i’w neud (beth yw i’w?)

2 taw dyna (beth yw taw?)

Can anyone help please?

1. i’w is a contraction of “i ei”. In Welsh we have a kind of an ‘it’ that refers back if the subject is in front of the verb rather than following it, so
    i neud y peth gorau = to do the best thing (peth gorau comes after the verb neud, so we just have the ‘i’)
    y peth gorau i’w neud = the best thing to do (it) (the implied ‘it’ refers to ‘y peth gorau’ which comes before the verb neud, so we need the ‘it’, which is ‘ei’, but you don’t have ‘i’ and ‘ei’ together, so the ‘ei’ turns into a 'w).

2. taw is ‘that’ when the sentence is an affirmative indirect or focused one. There are a few ways to say ‘that’ and it can be confusing as to which to use where, but don’t worry too much about it, just let the pattern sink in.

2 Likes

Well, casbeth makes sense! :smiley:

Not so thinking of how driving in the winter could be linked to a “hamster hate” or “cat hate”, for example.
Or even considering possible that “a pet is driving in the winter,” (there’s a draig saying good night in some Duolingo sentences so might as well be), why would “hate” be there.

Ah, English language! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The confusion over pet is that originally “pet” meant something more like “a thing dear to you”, not specifically an animal that lives with you. It’s still used that way in the North East of England where you’ll hear people addressed “pet” or in phrases like, “be a pet and fetch that book for me.” So “pet hate” is like a “dearest hate” or “favourite hate”. If that makes sense!

@siaronjames Thanks for “casbeth”. Much more literal. :smile:

3 Likes

Hi everyone, can anyone recommend a good programme on s4c for a brand new learner to enjoy? I’m really really enjoying iaeth ar daith, and fancy trying something else. But i don’t understand anything on the title page on the iPlayer app. I don’t want anything with ‘adult themes’ , just something entertaining and interesting :grinning:

Maybe you can have a look here, to start with (although some might not be available right now - I’ll check what’s on and maybe add a few):

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll have a good look x

1 Like

Hi all! Bit confused between ‘rhaid i mi – I must, I’ve got to’ and ‘mae gen i – I’ve got, I have.’ They almost seem to be the same? Can anyone help me out at all with which to use when? Diolch!