SSi Forum

Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Hello everyone,

I’m on Lesson 21 of the Old Course 3 (South) and I’m hearing ewn nhw for they’ll go, gewn nhw for they’ll get etc.
Now I was lead to believe this was the ending for ni - ewn ni, gewn ni - and that for nhw it should be ân nhw and gân nhw

Is this a regional thing? I can’t seem to find this anywhere and my ears are not deceiving me.

Thanks,
Santi

It is probably just accent/dialect.
If you think how similar i and u can sound, it’s the same sort of thing.
Awn ni and Ân nhw can sound quite similar, as can Gwnan ni and Gwnân nhw. When this happens, you should still be able to tell from context whether it’s “ni” or “nhw”.

Thanks Siaron.

There’s no two ways about it though, they are saying ewn nhw!!

I was just wondering perhaps if this is a simplification of the language, taking the ni ending and applying it to nhw. It wouldn’t be the first time the Southern variant has done this. I’m thinking of conditional endings; for most people except he or she, the vowel is an ‘e’ -ech chi -et ti -en nhw and this has been extended to en i for what you would normally expect -wn i.

And also the southern use of nag which we have discussed before, which is used in locations where you’d expect nad

yup, could also be that - in most verb endings the one for ni is the same as the one for nhw anyway, so it would seem a natural tendency to simplify the few that aren’t.

Red-legged partridge - petrisen goescoch. :slight_smile: Is it in your garden @gareth-mitchell?

Shwmae Cetra ,
It’s a few houses down, but there are loads of partridges and pheasants around here. the Toffs like shooting at them. I think they’re enjoying the forced armistice.
Hwyl.

Quick question- why does old come first but young come last? Eg Hen dîn, dîn ifanc - old man, man young. (Don’t know if my spellings are right sorry)

I’m not aware of there being another explanation than “it’s just the way it is.” In Welsh, adjectives usually follow the noun (dyn ifanc), but there are a few exceptions, with hen being one of them. The others are prif, holl and hoff (off the top of my head).
y prif weinidog - the Prime Minister
yr holl ffordd - the whole way
fy hoff fwyd - my favourite food

Thanks Hendrik, that’s very helpful :grinning:

Does anyone know when the busiest time (likeliest time to get a chat) on Slack is?

I want to start the 30 day challenge soon but I wonder whether doing a 5 minute chat each day would be too much? And obviously everyone’s schedules are messed up at the moment anyway.

During lockdown, Nia has been offering regular chats at 2pm BST during weekdays, and despite those being cut back again to just Monday and Wednesday (I think), other people have stepped in, so a few people seem to be available around that time. Other than that, I’d say just go for it, announce your wish to have a chat in #online-now and see what happens. If you put “@here” in your message, you’ll also trigger a notification to anyone who is active in the channel at that time, which increases the chance of someone seeing your message. Pob lwc!

Thank you! That is very useful (especially the @here thing). I might make 2pm my regular chat time then, to try and form a semi-regular habit.

I’m writing a short piece of fiction about Lockdown. But I need to be sure how to say

‘This time last year’

Is

‘yr amser hwn y llynedd’ correct?

Thanks

Ken

I think that would be understood. I’d also offer Yr un adeg y llynedd as an alternative, but if you’re looking for certainty, we’d better wait for someone more experienced. @catrinlliarjones , help, please? :slight_smile:

not a questions, but just an observation. Oh boy, challenge 13 and 14 on level 1 are so hard! My head is spinning! I’ve been doing well up until now but I’m going to have to repeat these a few times. The words are all in a different order - it’s so hard!! I can’t ever imagine it coming naturally!

@emma-ireland I have never forgotten the terror of those units. But now a year on I can understand them with no problems. don’t go back to them. Keep moving on and then perhaps return after another 10 Challenges just to see.

Ah thanks, that’s encouraging. Feels like my head is full! But I’ve cheered myself up by doing the red badge speaking practise. It seemed easy all of a sudden compared to all the ‘he said, my brother met, i told him to tell you’ stuff i was doing earlier :joy:

Stick with it Emma…everyone finds those a real head ache…

I’m still very early in my studies so some of this may get answered down the road, but I have two questions at this stage:

• In some of the resources I’ve used, constructions like ‘o’n’ (in place of roeddwn) and ‘bo’ fi’ (in place of ‘mod i’ or ‘fy mod i’) are indicated as ‘spoken forms’. Are these used in informal written language as well (i.e. text messages and informal emails) or are they mostly limited to the spoken language? A comparable example in American English would be ‘gonna’ for ‘going to’ and ‘gotta’ for ‘got to’. Neither would be considered proper in formal writing, but are very common in informal written communication, and even more common in the spoken language.
  • Why doesn’t ‘tua’ become ‘dua’ after ‘am’? (context: ‘am fis’, but ‘am tua mis’)