SSi Forum

Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

The word for ‘grass’ is gwelltglas (or glaswellt). The word for ‘straw’ is gwellt. The word for ‘blue’ is glas. :wink:

I did hear somewhere that green is a relatively new concept in Welsh. Everything green was, by default, blue. My uncle’s farm was Cae Glas.

I had that one too - many years ago from a lovely old dyn o’r gogledd who told me “there is no word for green in Cymraeg, so we use las for green as well as blue”.

Is it correct to use " (we)di werthi mas" for “sold out” ?

No mutation after wedi so “gwerthu”. :+1:

Ooops! Slap on wrist time! is the rest ok though?

Not at all. I would say “… wedi gwerthu allan” but I’m a Gog so, yes, perfect. :wink:

Totally misread that as “but I’m God…” :smiley:

That should be “I’m a god” surely. :thinking::wink:

There’s either none or thousands …

No, no. There’s only you :smiley:

Cwmtawe (Swansea) area: Has anyone heard “Llaw” coming out as “Llawr”. Brifo Llaw-r Someone in work telling me that a colleague has hurt his hand.

Ah, I’ve just thought: could it be the Swansea “Llaw e”, without the initial “ei”? Brifo Llaw e

I’ve seen both “cainc” and “alaw” as Welsh translations of “a tune”. Is there a difference in usage of these two terms or are they synonymous?

I’d say that alaw is by far the most common - you could also say tôn or tiwn - and that whilst it can mean ‘tune’, cainc is less commonly used for this, so it might be a more literary useage or it may just come down to personal/regional preference.

I’m just finishing up Level 3 North and one phrase is puzzling me. It sounds like “mi naeth addewid” and is given as “he made a promise”. I don’t understand why “mi” (which has always been “me/I” previously) is now “he”. Can anyone clear that up?

Thanks for your help, everyone!

The ‘mi’ here isn’t a pronoun at all, it’s a ‘positive marker’. Some people use the positive markers ‘mi’ or ‘fe’ at the beginning of a sentence, but they are optional.

Hmm, I see. So is the subject of this sentence implied rather than actually present?

It can be implied (e.g. if the subject has already been established in a previous sentence), or it can be present.
mi naeth o addewid
mi naeth addewid
naeth o addewid
naeth addewid

Ok, thanks Siaron :slightly_smiling_face:

Would this be the correct way to say ‘this is my first conversation in Welsh’ or is there a better way?

‘dyma fy sgwrs gyntaf yn Gymraeg’

Hello! I’m on L1C7 and I’ve started to notice that I’m not always getting the placement of ‘mae’ right. So it’s ‘mae eisiau i fi’, but when I say ‘dw i’n meddwl eisiau I ti ymarfer’ the ‘mae’ has disappeared? I think that’s an example anyway, may have picked a bad one, but is there a logic to this that will help me make it right in future? What exactly does it mean? Diolch!