Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I thought so!!! That was my hunch! I love his voice. Diolch Siaron!

1 Like

Which of these would be correct, please?
Roedd theulu hi… or Roedd teulu hi… :slight_smile:

Technically, the whole thing is “Roedd ei theulu hi…”, but the ei is often dropped in speech. The ei (her) causes the mutation which can remain even though the ei is dropped. However, in speech, the mutation is also sometimes dropped, so basically they are both correct although the first is slightly more technically correct. Does that make sense?

1 Like

Perfect, thanks Siaron! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just while we are waiting for the midnight hour -
Can someone from the NE and someone from the NW of Wales help me out with the following pronunciations, so I can start off next year with a clean slate. (I think I’m OK for S pronunciation)
Long or short ê/e for the following please.
Beth? (What)
Beth- (Place name: House in Hebrew) Bethesda, Bethel, etc.
Bedd- (Place name: Grave in Welsh) I can only think of Beddgelert in the North.
Bedd (the word for grave, generally)
Beth(an) Girls name - for a bonus point

Blwyddyn newydd dda bawb. Happy new year, All.

Just wondering about the listening exercises. I’ll be honest it’s the bit that I have been the least good at doing, probably only listening to each exercise 3-4 times max. I’ve just finished the 6 month course and have started the deep end, and am adamant that I will get better at doing the listening.
Just out of interest, I’d like to know how the experience of listening changes when you do it regularly - like you are supposed to. After a couple of weeks do people find they can understand most of what is said, or is this not the end goal? I tend to catch fleeting phrases but not much more. Thanks.

@elliefish, the more listening you do, I’m sure, the more fleeting phrases you will understand, and the longer they will be. They’ll turn into sentences and then paragraphs and then whole conversations.

Pob lwc a dal ati.

I haven’t used forum before so my bad if this is the wrong place to ask! I’ve fallen behind on my weekly challenges over Christmas and does anyone know of there’s someway to pause them so that I can catch up?

Yes @hannah-walters, they can be paused - just send an email to admin@saysomethingin.com and they’ll pause them for you.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

1 Like

Hi all. Because I work shifts and get days off on random days of the week I find myself referring to them quite often to clarify whether I’m working or not on a certain day. I usually use “dydd rhydd” but I think I once saw “dydd i ffwrdd” in a Bethan Gwanas book. Can anyone help me with what would be the usual term? Thanks.

1 Like

Let me tell you about my experience learning English. I had lessons at school for several years and I totally got stuck years after understanding other peaople and talking to them. This is absolutely normal for someone who isn’t a native speaker. It got much better when I started talking myself in English more often, I’d suggest follow the website’s tilte and saysomethingin instead of doing listentosomethingin.
Or in other words: You got to jump into the water if you want to learn how to swim.

3 Likes

Thanks Klaus, that sounds like good advice.
It’s good to learn from other people’s experiences.
Diolch yn fawr.

Quick question: I was listening to Radio Cymru this morning and was excited by the (small) amount I understood, while ignoring the majority that I didn’t (yet). Now unless I misheard, I’m sure a woman was talking about “canu y violin”. Is this the expression in Welsh? Do we sing the instrument rather than play it? I hope so, because I found the image of becoming one with the instrument quite beautiful!

2 Likes

Yes, it’s perfectly normal to “sing” some instruments in Welsh! Some are almost always used with canu (e.g. canu’r delyn), whilst others will almost always use chwarae (e.g. chwarae drymiau/dryms), and some use either canu or chwarae (e.g. canu piano / chwarae piano) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Reading a learners novel at the moment and once sentence says ’ yna mi wnaeth mam efo dau blentyn ddŵad i mewn.’ I would have expected that to say ‘dau o blant’ but am i missing something?

There are two ways to talk about multiple things in Welsh. As you rightly say “X o rhwybeth”. The other is “X rhwybeth”.

With the first you use the plural word, with the second you use the singular

Dau o blant - dau blentyn
Dwy o gathod - dwy gath
Dau o gwn - dau gi

The second works better in the sentence. “Two child” rather than “two of children”.

2 Likes

Perfect, thank you! :+1:

1 Like

@AnthonyCusack - is that a typo? Shouldn’t that be rhywbeth rather than rhwybeth?

I mean, the meaning is carried but yes its a typo