Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

The ‘mi’ here is just indicating a positive statement - it has no translation. In the South you’d hear ‘fe’ doing the same thing (not to be confused with fe = he). They can be put in (in which case they cause a soft mutation) or left out. And sometimes they are left out but the mutation they cause isn’t!
mi faset ti’n behafio’n well.
fe faset ti’n behafio’n well.
faset ti’n behafio’n well.
baset ti’n behafio’n well.
They’re all the same meaning, so which one you use is whichever one you prefer.

3 Likes

I see! Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Beth yw ‘thread’ yn Gymraeg.??..
fel ‘internet thread on a forum’

I looking for the word ‘thread’ in Welsh as used on forums

I once saw ‘straeon’ used for threads… but surely stori isnt thread? Suppose it makes sense

Does Welsh use the actual word for a sewing thread? My dictionary lists edau (feminine) or edefyn (masculine) for that sort of thread. (Apparently edefyn is also “filament”…)

2 Likes

I was about to suggest the same thing, I am pretty sure I’ve seen edefyn used like that on Welsh language tweets.

2 Likes

I’ve recently read a book called “Fel Edefyn Gwe” :slight_smile: (Its good!) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch bawb.

I assume edafedd is the plural then? :slightly_smiling_face:

Edafedd is a collection of threads -physically… a yarn / wool

1 Like

Edafedd seems to be the plural of the similar word “Edaf”
Efafynnau seems to be the plural of edefyn.
Either of theses see ok for a thread (actual, or of life or narative).

Also, possibly: hanes

1 Like

Huh. According to the dictionary Y Geiriadur Mawr the plural for both edau (f) and edefyn (m) is edafedd - threads

2 Likes

Interesting, I looked at the GPC. Nice to have the choice of words :smiley:

1 Like

Bore da pawb. I’d usually say ‘I’m off to the shop’ rather than ‘I’m going to the shop’.

Is there an equivalent in Cymraeg? Google suggests ‘Dw i i ffwrdd i’r siop’, but I’m never sure how much to trust it for idioms.

I’m doing the Northern course if it makes any difference.

Diolch!

I think the closest you’ll get is “ffwrdd â fi i’r siop” (“bant â fi” for those in the South!), or “dwi’n mynd am y siop”.
You will probably hear the anglo-influenced “dwi’n off i’r siop” too :wink:

4 Likes

Haha - the last one has (inevitably) embedded itself in my brain immediately! Diolch am dy help.

1 Like

Bant â ni, cant y cant!

Off we go, 100%! (Direct translation)

Is a Welsh rhyming phrase Ive heard young people say when leaving to town on a night out… but you could use it for any situation where “lets roll!” is suitable

2 Likes

Mae’n gwych - diolch! I’m stashing that one for the next time I see my Welsh-speaking niece & nephew. Should be good for a ‘Oh no what’s he saying now?’ moment!

3 Likes

So now that makes me want a snappy Welsh equivalent of the Brazilian muito bem - nota cem ("Very good - 10 out of 10“ — literally, “very good — a mark of 100”). Best I’ve come up with is llwyddiant - cant y cant. Llwyddiannus would be better, as an adjective, but wouldn’t rhyme; and gogoniant felt a bit too redolent of the splendour of heavenly glory for a simple “well done”…

1 Like

I havent quite got the confidence to attempt new phrases quite yet but maybe soon! :face_with_monocle::joy:

Simply saying with gusto…

‘ Un dda !! ‘ - Good one!!!

Da wir!! - Truly good!!!

Are good starting points for me … Im sure theres lots I dont know.

I do admit to saying ‘(y)sblenydd’ (splendid) when I want to be jokingly posh or rubbing my hands like Mr Burns to a bit of … hwyl a sbri… with a ‘pinsiad’ of mischief :stuck_out_tongue:

Vocabulary question. I’m looking for a word that conveys “wanderer / rambler” or “seeker / searcher” but doesn’t have overt negative connotations. Everything I’m finding in the GPC seems to have associated negative definitions (e.g. “vagabond / tramp” or “inquisitor”). I’m also having trouble discerning whether there are differing masculine and feminine endings. Help?

How about tramwywr or tramwyydd ? It’s more traverser/traveller than wanderer/rambler, but may suit your needs?

With masc/fem endings, generally things ending in -wr are the masculine and those ending in -wraig are the feminine, but you may come across -yn (masc) and -en (fem) too. -ydd is a useful gender neutral when it occurs, but it’s not applied to everything.

Does that help?

Y Geiriadur Mawr also suggests chwiliwr for seeker or investigator. And there is always pererin for pilgrim.