Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Hi All. Can you use “bradadwy”/treacherous for weather? Just getting prepared :smiley:

I’d say twyllodrus or peryglus would be more suitable in that context, John, but let’s all hope you don’t need to use either! :smiley:

1 Like

Ha ha, I must have dreamt of it after working last night :man_mechanic::snowflake:

1 Like

What is more common for snack: byrbryd or tamaid (i aros pryd?)? It seems to be the former but are there different shades of meaning? Regional considerations? Diolch!

2 Likes

Anyone? :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Probably tamaid, I think for a basic snack, or you can just say snac. Scram (like the shop in Rownd a Rownd) is mega cool in the North = Scran in Scouse or Geordie. Apparently byrbryd for a quick or light lunch. I haven’t heard it used, myself, though.

3 Likes

Those cool northerners say scram for snack? I can get on board with that!

2 Likes

I know tamaid, have never encountered byrbryd before, but I’m a learner. (Based in West and South Wales mainly).

Everyone’s favourite subject. Object pronouns. :grimacing: Does anyone know how object pronouns work with inflected verbs? Is it different, mo aside? I’ve just polled Google, and it doesn’t think “ei welodd” should be a thing.

1 Like

Sometimes you see:

Fe’i welodd

When people are using an affirmative particle at the beginning of a sentence (this first Fe does not mean ‘he’) - but it’s more normally:

welodd e fe

Ie the second pronoun only

Rich :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks, Rich! That sounds…almost simple. I would never normally accuse Welsh pronouns of simplicity.
: )

3 Likes

If you shop anywhere with bilingual signs, look to see if it has Byrbrydau about the snacks aisle. It does in Tesco, Caerfyrddin :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How would I say, “I’ll be right back.”
I’m thinking, “Bydda i’n dwad yn ol” I’m not sure about the spelling or how to put the word ‘right’ in there or what the word for ‘right’ is, in this case.
Thanks!
P.S. I hope this is starting a new topic in Tiny Questions and not a reply to the previous question…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You could say Bydda’n nôl yn ddiymdroi, or ddoi nôl ar f’union (the second is probably closest to “right back” in this sense, or you could go for something simpler like Nôl yn fuan / Nôl toc (= back soon).

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Ah. :sunny: (can’t find a light bulb)

Is wap used in the north, e.g. Bydda i nôl wap or is it strictly a southern expression?

1 Like

I can’t say I’ve heard it up hear. I do hear toc fairly often.

1 Like

Yeah, I like the expression tan toc though I may have adopted it from the north :joy:

I agree with Siaron that wap has a southern ring to it. Another “slangy” northern expression I’ve heard is Fyddai’m chwinciad.

1 Like

8 Likes