Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

What about “bydda’ i’n syth yn ôl,” which is what came to my mind - echt Welsh or learner Welsh?

Yup, that would be fine too.

I’ve heard mewn winciad and mewn eiliad in the south too :grin:

Siaron’s toc is very common. (I mean in the positive sense! I’m NOT calling Siaron common!)

I like toc - used to hear it in Cwmcysglyd all the time.

4 Likes

Level 2 lessons 22 and 24.

Please, what is the difference between:

Byddet ti’n dweud wrtha i bod hi ddim yn moyn…
Byddet ti’n dweud wrtha i nag oedd hi’n moyn…

I keep playing them back with the English, and both seem to capture… ‘You’d tell me if she didn’t want to…’

Is one in the present and one in the past tense, so ‘she doesn’t’ vs ‘she didn’t’?

Thank you,
Mari

These are both ‘that’ clauses - the bod hi ddim is the negative ‘that’ in the present tense and the nag oedd hi is the negative ‘that’ in the past tense, so yes, ‘she doesn’t’ vs ‘she didn’t’.

But neither of these are an ‘if’ i.e. they are “that she didn’t/doesn’t” rather than “if she didn’t/doesn’t”.

2 Likes

My son was drawing round his hand and a ball this morning so I asked him “wyt ti’n tynnu llun o gwmpas…” is that right? I looked on geiriadur yr academi after that and it amazed me how diverse the usage of the word draw is in English! Tynnu seemed to come up for picture but I doubted myself, any thoughts?

1 Like

Yep, tynnu llun is ‘to draw a picture’ (it can also mean ‘to take a photgraph’, but context should differentiate!). You could also say ‘gwneud llun’ (making a picture), but tynnu is commonplace.

Could I have been more specific and said “tynnu lein”? Or would it have to be “tynnu llun o lein”?

That would be “tynnu llinell” :slight_smile:

Thank you Siaron,

That makes perfect sense.

Nadolig llawen,
Mari

1 Like

Llinell! Wrth gwrs :see_no_evil: that’s my lazy Wenglish slipping in :joy: I blame the kids :flushed:

Diolch Siaron

1 Like

I am wading through level 3 now and somewhat floored by the many „that“ phrases but am pressing on…. In Challenge 4, „that we don‘t“ is stated as nad ydan ni ddim. I assume that nad is the equivalent of *na *when placed before a vowel but I wondered why the phrase wasn‘t na dan ni ddim which trips off the tongue much more easily!

Dan ni is shortened, so ydan is the “correct” form here. Thing is, in speech “nad ydan” and “na dan” sound pretty much the same. Beauty of the course is that it exposes you to choice. Beauty of choice is that its all yours :smile:

1 Like

Thank you, Anthony. I hadn‘t realised that „dan ni“ was a shortened form so this makes sense now. I agree that it does sound much the same if spoken fast enough! :wink:

1 Like

@AnthonyCusack are you seriously trying to tell me you’ve forgotten about when we “tynnu lluniau” on the beach at Tresaith at the beginning of Bŵtcamp?? :joy:

1 Like

Byth :joy:!

Talking of beaches, is there a word for sea-horse in Welsh? I’ve looked around and can’t find any. Morgeffyl is great as a direct line from
Hippocampus, just don’t know if it’s right

1 Like

According to Y Geiriadur Mawr it’s morfarch - it would be a good one to ask in ‘Iaith’ on Facebook as it’s sure to have regional variations.

1 Like

yup, morfarch, from mor + march. March is an older, more literary word for horse/stallion/steed (you may come across marchog as a knight/horseman/rider)

2 Likes

Diolch! That helps with Trystan’s sticker book. Also given as the word for walrus interestingly.