SSi Forum

Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Have you listened to it, Sionned? Are you saying that the recording says well iddi’r ddynes? Or have I misunderstood your comment?

That’s a shame

I think the recording says well i‘r ddynes ifanc (it’s around 27:00 in challenge 12 north). I just wanted to know why and how and what does it all mean hahaha I’ll just remember it.
Thank you all for sharing what you know about deflecting pronouns, I really enjoyed it!

No, I haven’t listened to it either. I probably shouldn’t have jumped into the middle, since I made a mistake as well.

‘Dy fod ti’n’ vs ‘bo’ ti’n’?

In the Old Course 2, Vocab 3, I keep thinking I hear ‘dy fod ti’n’ for ‘that you are’. Am I mishearing this, or if not, why is the ‘dy’ there please?

Thank you,
Mari

No, you’re not mishearing Mari, “dy fod ti’n” is the full standard form (“bo ti’n” is the colloquial version). The dy and ti are, I think, called ‘split pronouns’ here, but people can often leave one or other out, so you could also get “fod ti’n” or “dy fod yn” - as usual with these things, stick with whatever you’re comfortable with and just be aware of the variations for when others use them :slight_smile:

Diolch yn fawr Siaron, now I will be able to cysgu heno. Strange how these little things bug me.

Hwy,
Mari

Hello,

Could someone help me with Level 1, Challenge 16/17 with the construction ‘Wnes i fwynhau’? I understood that ‘mwynhau’ soft mutates after ‘wnes i’ but does it still it still mutate when the word ‘ei’ is inserted into the sentence? In other words, is it ‘Wnes i ei fwynhau’ or ‘Wnes i ei mwynhau’? I’m hearing both options on the recordings but I’m imagining only one is correct.

Grateful for any help on this.

@SarahWales it depends on whether the thing the ei is referring to is grammatically masculine or feminine. If you enjoyed a book, which is masculine, it would be wnes i ei fwynhau with the mutation, but if you enjoyed a film, which is feminine, it would be wnes i ei mwynhau.

Thanks Deborah!

WNES I DDIM. DO’N I DDIM. I can’t quite grasp these, are they both saying I didn,t?
Diolch am eich help.
Glynn

First one is “I didn’t”, the second “I wasn’t”.

Many verbs can use both, and the difference is about the same as in English: wnes i ddim mynd “I didn’t go” vs do’n i ddim yn mynd “I wasn’t going.”

But some verbs - usually ones that sound odd with “-ing” in the present in English (e.g. “I’m loving her” instead of “I love her”) - would normally only use o’n i’n or do’n i ddim yn, so for those there isn’t really a difference - you just won’t really hear them with wnes i ddim.

Richard
Diolch yn fawr iawn . I need to practice this, there’s a worm in there somewhere and I need to squash it.
Dw i’n dal angen ymarfer myw :+1::black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿:+1:

Glynn

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)