Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

‘It’ in this context, a random verb, is feminine so the ‘ei’ in brackets is also feminine and doesn’t mutate a word starting with ‘g’. That’s my reasoning.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply :slight_smile: That’s what I initially thought too but I replayed it and they use the masculine it. I’ll have another listen later on and try and figure it out ha

Hi,

Level 1 Challenge 24 (Northern).

Are they saying penwythnos 'ma or penwythnos 'na for ‘this weekend’?

I’m hearing it as 'na, but isn’t that short for ‘that’, not ‘this’? (And there are several uses of penwythnos 'na on this forum, so if it is 'na, I’m confused :grinning: )

Thanks!

Its “penwythnos 'ma” which is “penwythnos yma” in full (yma = this) :slight_smile:
You should be able to see a transcription of the challenges btw - how you get to them depends on what device you’re using (phone vs laptop, Android vs Apple)…

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response!

It’s not in the transcription, unfortunately (I always download them after doing the challenge), and AFAIR, they haven’t introduced ‘yma’ yet, either, so that’s good to know…

So, is there a difference between ‘y … hwn’ and ‘yma’ or are they interchangeable?

Many thanks!

1 Like

To use hwn, hon, etc you would need to know the gender (whether male or female) of the thing you’re referring to. Yma - this and yna - that can be used with either gender and with singular or plural so its simpler to stick with them!!

1 Like

That sounds like very good advice… :grinning:

Many thanks for your help!

1 Like

Does anyone know who is playing Natasha’s mum (Caitlin) in the Archers? I know Mali Harries is Natasha but can’t find who is playing her mum. It is so lovely to hear them speaking Welsh in it. @beca-brown do you know?

We used to be regular listeners to the Archers, but we stopped a couple of years ago at the beginning of the pandemic when they gave up attempting to provide any sort of character interaction. And this was at a time when amateurs were creating choirs by combining recordings! However, I remembered that the Radio Times always has a complete cast list and so I looked up this week’s cast. The actor playing Caitlin Thomas is Di Botcher.

Thank you I’d forgotten about that. I thought I recognized her voice it’s Jan from Casualty.

1 Like

Hoping you ate all doing ok. Remembering how we learnt “syth arôl” = thats left. Any thoughts on how to say something like " all I need now is…" ? eg if you managed to buy most of your shopping but still need a couple of elusive items

syth ar ôl = straight (immediately) after
sydd ar ôl = that’s left
:wink:
For " all I need now is…" , you could say “y cyfan sy’ angen arna nawr yw…”

3 Likes

Diolch, Siaron. Gobeithio bod popeth yn iawn gyda ti./Hope you are doing ok.

1 Like

Ooo! handy phrase :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or in the gogs … “y cwbl dwi angen rŵan ydy …” :joy::wink:

2 Likes

That’s what I was going to put initially until I remembered John would want the Southern version! :grin:

1 Like

I was just surprised that there were so many differences in one small sentence. One of the constant, repeated conversations between my father and me was the obvious differences but still great to understand it all.

I wonder if we could ever quantify the amount of “out of lesson” learning you’ve provided on this forum over the years. Thank you Siaron. :blush:

4 Likes

Still plodding through Level 3 but the end is nigh…. in northern Challenge 20, I heard “ Fyddwn i ddim yn medru…” as a translation for “I couldn’t”. As this literally translates as “I wouldn’t be able to”, it amounts to the same thing. However, I wondered if there was another perhaps shorter way to say “I couldn’t…” ?

Fedrwn i ddim would work for Fyddwn i ddim yn medru I should think, but perhaps a north Walian speaker can confirm that? :slight_smile:

Are ‘gallwch/gallech’ and ‘galli/gelli’ a South/North thing or is it just a personal preference thing? Cheers to anyone that can help clear this up :slight_smile: