Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

That may be exactly right; I will have to check it again next time I get in my car. Thanks kindly.

1 Like

Yup, I think Mike’s on the ball with this one… :slight_smile: :star2:

A all un rhywun clywed beth dwedodd y ci ar ~33 eiliad? Alla i ddim! :frowning:
Can anyone hear what the dog says at ~33 seconds? I can’t :frowning:

Silly I know, I just wondered as it doesn’t sound like anything I’ve heard. I hear the obvious bit but the rest is lost in too much noise for me!

1 Like

Hei, dere a cwpl o sosejys i fi, wnei di?

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

O wrth gwrs, diolch Aran! O’n i’n meddwl na chlywais i ddim yn gywir! Apparently I did hear it correctly but refused to believe it. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes - they’re different:

doedd dim angen = there was no need
bod dim angen = THAT there is/was no need

2 Likes

S’mae!

I’m quite new to Welsh, but I was hoping to write a little love note in the language for a certain special someone (it’s a bit personal, but nothing too untoward, I hope!). After some time poring over the GPC, this is what I’ve come up with:

"F’anwylyd,

Dw i’n meddwl amdanat ti bob dydd. Wyt ti’n mor prydferth i fi. Dw i’n hiraethu teimlo dy gyffyrddiad, a dw i’n gobeithio gweld dy wên hyfryd yn fuan."

Would one (or more!) of you lovely people be willing to look it over and point out any mistakes I may have made? Diolch!

On a Welsh Memrise course, there’s a sentence “Mi gaeth o ddim byd = He had nothing”.

Is that correct or should this be “Gaeth o ddim byd” without the “mi”?

It seems like a negative sentence to me, so it looks odd to me with the “mi” in it.

SAW THIS…in regards to numerals…what even is this? can;t find a translation :smiley:

Not sure if i’m correct here but…

Mi gaeth o ddim byd. He had nothing.

Chaeth o ddim unrhyw beth. He did not have anything.

Chaeth o ddim byd. He didn’t have anything.

one expression worth thinking about that I’ve come across, but would like confirmation of from anyone sho knows or has used it is:

dros ei phen a’i chlustiau - which i think means sometbing like being completely nuts about her - might need to change the form as well to you, dros ei ben a’i glustiau?

This basically equates to “head over heels”

1 Like

thanks and I’m not sure how to play around with it or use it. dy glustiau i glustiau i chlustiau etc

Philip - to me Gaeth is the mutated version of Caeth which I know as “Get” or “Got” in English so I think “Mi gaeth o ddim byd”, being past tense, means “He received/got nothing”. That’s totally just from what I heard growing up near Porthmadog…hwyl!

After a quick Google I found that “tau” is an old word meaning “your” or “yours” but isn’t used anymore. I won’t lose any sleep if I never learn it. :blush:

1 Like

You’ve done a good job here, Guy :slight_smile: I’ve bolded the changes I’d recommend… :slight_smile:

Mmm, nope. Technically , ‘chaeth o ddim byd’, although I wouldn’t say that’s a very common usage - ‘chafodd o ddim’ might be a bit more common with the ‘ch’… I could just about imagine someone saying ‘gaeth o ddim byd’ (because, well, mutations get knocked around the place something wicked) - but ‘mi gaeth o ddim byd’ - the ‘mi’ has to be declarative, so I’d be pretty certain that would trigger a ‘sounds wrong’ for any speaker. Although having said that, in casual speech people can and do regularly change what they wanted to say in mid-sentence, so if you do a lot of transcripting you’ll find plenty of ‘technically wrong’ stuff like this.

Never heard it. I’d suspect it’s archaic.

I’d say these are all more in the direction of the ‘get’ sense of cael… and ‘mi gaeth o ddim byd’ is unlikely/not-technically-correct… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks!

I’m glad that my suspicions (“this sounds wrong”) were not unfounded :slight_smile:

I think I’ll just ignore that sentence in the course then.

What would be the best way to say “He had nothing”, in the context of ordering food? "Mi ges i pitsa – beth am Siôn? Wel, doedd o ddim isio bwyta, felly … (chafodd o ddim byd?) "

2 Likes

Strangely this “mi gaeth o ddim byd” seems to appear on a mynediad course.

I’m trying but failing to remember if dim byd has ever followed an affirmative statement eg clywodd o dim byd.

Hmmm. Tricky this.

That’s what I’d say…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks again!

1 Like