Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

In the novel I’m reading at the mo, the word ‘decini’ crops up all the time. I’d never noticed it before - presume it’s fairly regional Northern?

http://www.gweiadur.com/ says ‘ymadrodd llafar sy’n dalfyriad o mae’n debyg gen i - I suppose’. But in this case they didn’t see fit to include pronunciation for some reason. I presume it’s with a hard ‘c’, but is the stress on the 1st or 2nd syllable? It just looks and sounds odd to me.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Not sure I’ve ever heard it all that often, though.

Thanks. What’s the approximation of pronunciation though? That’s what’s been bothering me as it just looks unlikely…
Edit - is it stress 1st syllable, short vowels, hard ‘c’? That just kind of dawned on me…

Catrin and I would both say ‘deCIni’ - and yes, we only have a hard ‘c’… :slight_smile:

But Catrin is adamant that she has never, ever heard it in her life. In fact, her first response was ‘must be southern’ - which she grudgingly softened to ‘well, maybe somewhere like Bala, then’…:wink:

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr! Oh well, bit obscure then… :slight_smile:

1 Like

(Rwyt) ti dros dy ben a dy glustiau
Mae e dros ei ben a’i glustiau
Mae hi dros ei phen a’i chlustiau
Maen nhw dros eu pen a’u clustiau
Etc

Funny really as the main character comes from a village close to Pwllheli! (Oh well, on the scale of things to worry about… :smile:)

1 Like

Please do people prefer bumping an old thread that is relevant or starting a new one which might be a bit similar?

I was looking for something for real beginners like me, maybe to share some small victories, finishing a challenge or first Skype conversations, as the people whose posts I see most on the forum seem to be a bit further along. I am sure there are other people who are just getting stuck in, like me. (Had my first Skype call in Welsh this week, so pleased.)

3 Likes

There is a ‘milestones’ thread, about moments of triumph! It’ called ‘Breakthroughs…’ find it using the big Q. I have been on here for a long time and am only just learning how to Skype. So far, virtually only in English as I needed to be sure I understood!!
Lwc dda! A dda iawn for the Skype!

3 Likes

Wherever feels best for you to post - we’re not fussy about stuff like that… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing out that thread. Now I remember it, I have seen it before.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the help!

Am I to understand that it’s your voice (and Catrin’s) I’ve been listening to for over ten hours now?

1 Like

I found this:

They’d be some form of possessive pronoun - in The Dictionary Of The Welsh language by William Owen Pughe from 1832, maybe that explains why these forms are not heard much anymore, as Aran mentioned…

Although, I wonder if they survive in words like minnau, tithau, etc.

4 Likes

Ah, yes - apologies for that…:wink:

Not at all! I know you’re having a bit of fun, but it’s nice to put actual people to the disembodied voices. I’m absolutely loving your lessons and you’re both very charming to listen to.

2 Likes

Diolch o galon am eich ymchwil…thx sooo much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s very kind of you - diolch yn fawr iawn… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bore da!

I hope this has a simple answer. I understand the adjective/noun ordering but could someone shed light on what determines the word order of the following:

UEFA Futsal Euro Tournament -> Twrnament UEFA Ffwtsal Ewrop

Many thanks!

How about - what is it? A Tournament. Who runs it? UEFA. (Not translated to Cymraeg - Undeb Cwmdeithasau Pel-droed Ewropeaidd???). What sort of Tournament etc… I had to look up Futsal (failed to find Ffwtsal). Why can’t they just call it 5-a-side? Or 5s?
ps I am absolutely no authority on this, your question just made me curious!
@aran are there rules?
And @Jamaro Croeso to the Forum! Carry on asking! Usually you’ll get better informed answers than this one!

Hi henddraig. Thanks for your reply and thanks for welcoming me!

Yeah, I’m curious as to why it changes to Tournament UEFA Futsal Europe. Would be interesting to know if there are any specific rules for this type of thing.

FYI: Futsal (FUTbol SALa - ‘hall football’) is different from the 5-a-side we all know. Different goals, heavier ball, pitch is marked by lines vs walls. It is extremely good for developing technique and is played all over the world although it’s relatively new to the UK. Wales recently won the first Home Nation tournament by beating Scotland, N.I and England :slight_smile:

1 Like