Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Correct! :slight_smile:

Exploding carrot content in the Grammar, while not ruled out, cannot be guaranteed either by myself or the publishers.

4 Likes

Isn’t amdan a fairly northern thing. Often hear ‘o bouthu’, ambythti’ and versions there of in the south for this type of thing

These sentences don’t sound awkward at all, they’re fine - and ALL of them are correct but MUST have the pronoun.
All horribly and vomitously wrong without.

So yes - non-conjugating prepositions in these types of sentences ALWAYS need the pronoun, even 3rd person singular.

5 Likes

Hard for me to judge since I never used to hear amdan really where I was, which was central. And of course am covers far more meanings than those southern ones you correctly quoted, which correspond to the particular meaning ‘about’, of course.

3 Likes

Fantastic, thank you! That has been bugging me for ages!

And sorry if I sounded rude about your book earlier - to be honest I’m surprised at myself as I used to love reading stuff like that before producing a family and getting all stressed… Absolutely nothing personal! :wink:

2 Likes

No no @netmouse , I didn’t detect anything of the sort! :slight_smile:

Even if you had been rude, it would have bounced off…I had twenty-six hundredweight of vitriol poured onto me from the Welsh establishment when the book came out, so I tend to feel a bit invincible these days :wink:

The readers that these books were written for are nearly always nice about them, I’m glad to say. And they’re the ones who matter. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, I look forward to seeing what is inside :slight_smile: (I think ffrwydrol is an excellent word!) Thanks for clarifying so I don’t end up with a different book than I intended…

This has been a really fruitful good discussion, I’ve learned a lot! (Sorry, couldn’t help myself :wink:) Diolch, @netmouse and @garethrking!

2 Likes

Ww, interesting! Not having, er, read them, I wonder why that was? Is it that you were documenting ‘non-official’ elements of the language?

You are welcome @AnnaC - croeso! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was one reason. - I got flak for (as I saw it, and indeed still see it) sticking up for the living language of the ordinary native speakers. And another was that I wasn’t part of the academic Establishment. And the third was that someone from outside the Establishment wrote a Grammar that outsold the two other Grammars then on the market, both by academics. In the words of Windsor Davies: Oh dear…how sad…never mind! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ah. Oh well, good for you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

According to friends in Caernarfon (we’re about 4 miles south of Caernarfon)… :slight_smile:

I think ‘amdan’ was probably one of the very first times I heard people saying something that I actually KNEW was wrong, which made me rather love them (and perhaps sensitised me to it).

Oh, no kidding? Yeah, they kind of have form for that. Very sorry indeed to hear it. I’m too lazy for grammar, but Colloquial Welsh was one of the three central pillars of my journey, and I recommend it pretty much as a reflex… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well that is very gratifying to hear, and you are very kind. :slight_smile:

As for your problematic attitude to grammar… :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe Amdan just reflects the social media lingo culture that we now live in. English is being ripped apart with endings of words and phrases being obliterated out of sight. Hilar really isn’t it and some people will find it Totes Adorbs, but bear with- it might just be a phase.

1 Like

I’ve got a horrible feeling it may be catching! (And then he goes designing courses that allow people to get away without it…)

4 Likes

Sorry to interrupt your current “debate” but I have a “tiny question” which might be (actually) very stupid and for the beginners. I finally set my course of action toward (probably too) bold action of translating one of graphic softwares in Cymraeg and when it comes to that sometimes even things I should know all of a sudden confuse me. so here is the question:

Is it right to say/write:
“Marchanta ac gynhaliad” - Marketing and support (mutation) or
“Marchanta ac cynhaliad” - Marketing and support.(no mutation)

I believe saying “ac” and not “a” is correct (or I had even that wrong ???)

As in all software there are usually not proper sentences but rather short expression as this one or “upload”, “Save” etc …

Thanks in advance.
:slight_smile:

@tatjana You are certainly not interrupting! :slight_smile:

I’m no expert here, so anyone correct me if needed, but I think a meaning and only becomes ac if the next word starts with a vowel. And according to my dictionary, it doesn’t cause a soft mutation, but it does cause aspirate mutation (c/p/t to ch/ph/th), although most commonly only c to ch and not the others. So I think it would be

marchanta a chynhaliad

I’ve no idea if those are the right words to mean “marketing and support” in your context; someone else will have to help there!

3 Likes

Well, thank you. When I don’t know which word is right I usually look through the choices and “cynhaliad” is descripted as “aid” and that’s the closest I could find. The words are more or less the same in other contexts too so I believed I couldn’t miss with this one.

You might be right and I actually don’t know why I thought the oposite way is the right one - if the word before a ends with vowel. Obviously, when explained things in one of lesson I didn’t quite understand this part. I remember quite well there were some confusing sentences after explanation where first one or two seamed totally logical to me and I said them right in the gap of silence but one or two after that were confusing.

I was going with “ch” at first but then all of a sudden it just didn’t seam right to me … but yes, this might be the right one in deed.

1 Like

One silly little thing that’s bugging me. Why isn’t it ‘Hanes yr Iaith Mewn Hanner Cant Geiriau’ ?

If memory serves, when you number nouns in Welsh, you don’t pluralise. Eg: un ci, dau gi… and so on, rather than dau cwn.

3 Likes