To Rhyme and Chime for a Chair

On Saturday, Radio 4 broadcast a fascinating 30 minute programme about Cynghanedd. For those of you who aren’t familiar, Cynghanedd is strict metric poetry, and a defining part of Welsh language culture.

The programme, presented by Tom Morys in his unique style, covers the origins of Cynghanedd, and everything from how it works, to how it affects the brain and the Chairing of the Bard at the National Eisteddfod. There’s also a myriad of familiar welsh voices to be heard.

I enjoyed it immensely and started listening again from the beginning as soon as I’d finished.

5 Likes

Very interesting. Diolch.

I’m listening to this now on the train. I first encountered Welsh metrical forms via Gerard Manley Hopkins, who is mentioned in the programme, and one of the things that made me want to learn Welsh was loving to read Welsh verse aloud (even though I couldn’t understand it).

If anyone is interested in learning more, and having a go at using the forms in English, there is a workshop in Llanelli on Friday June 19th at 10am at Theatr Ffwrnes.

https://www.facebook.com/events/237407090169261??ti=ia

2 Likes

An absolutely fascinating programme. Explains a lot about why the sound of some of Dylan Thomas’s poetry is so seductive! Now to be able to understand enough Welsh to appreciate Cynghanedd yn y Gymraeg would be a real achievement. One day…

3 Likes