Torfaen Meetup - Tuesdays @ 1900 - The Upper Cock Inn, Croesyceiliog

Two of us will be there tonight, for sure.

Hopefully our usual 1900 arriver will be back from his holiday, but just in case - probably best to hang back till quarter past ish.

1 Like

Ok, saves me waiting by myself for someone to turn up.

Tonight!

Five of us last week, so come and help make it sixā€¦

1 Like

Is this group still running? Pontypool person here and would love a chance to practice!

We are indeed. Iā€™d suggest a half seven arrival time since its drifted a little over the years!

Thereā€™s also a handful of pontypool setups listed here:
http://chat.cymru/welsh/meetups.html?region=south-east

2 Likes

Iā€™m still dizzy from the heights reached last night. 7 of us! We had two visitors from the summer course being held in Pontypool. One of them brought an old dog, and there was even much taflu-ing of a ball.

1 Like

Are you happy to be the contact person in the weekly newsletter for this meetup @jamesmahoney?

I currently have someone called ā€˜John (ji-1)ā€™ who doesnā€™t appear to exist on the forum any more, and Iā€™m trying to make sure the list is up-to-date after the summer.

1 Like

Hi Dee

I am still here and at the meet up almost every week but James is much more IT aware than I am and being much better connected:slight_smile: woulld make a much better contact than I.

The group is small and is blesed by the attendance of Gwyndaf a fluent speaker and hero of the welsh language in our opinion for his patient unstinting help to learners of all levels.

We would welcome new faces (and old) if anyone out there would like to come along and use their welsh

John

3 Likes

Diolch John! @ji_1 didnā€™t show up when I tried to search for it, but itā€™s here now so thatā€™s good :slight_smile:

Your group is very lucky to have Gwyndaf. He sounds like a real asset!

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s an onerous position being the contact for the Torfaen meeting - unless @ji_1 has been keeping quiet about the bucket load of requests heā€™s been receiving, so Iā€™m happy to be the contact point.

Gwyndaf is great, and if ever thereā€™s an unsung Welsh language hero award he should first up for the Gwent one. Every day is a Welsh language meetup day for Gwyndaf, and generally more than one.

2 Likes

Helo James, Jonathon, Gwyndaf and all,
des i i dy grwp dros y haf, - o y cwrs yn pont-ypŵl, - diolch am y croeso cynnes, a bydda i dod eto yn fuan gobeithio. Dave

It was good to see you again

:+1:

Hi James,

We only had three of us there again tonight and with turnouts being rather low of late we were discussing the viability of continuing with the meet up on a Tuesday evening.

What do you think? We feel it asks an awful lot of Gwyndaf who has been fantastic for our group overr the years. So with dwindleing numbers and so many other well attended groups in our area we wonder whether it would be better to go to those instead.

Let us know your thoughts?

J

After 3 weeks of house painting, followed by 2 weeks in Italy, I /should/ be back on Tuesday (though a late work thing is threatening ominouslyā€¦), so thatā€™ll give us 4 people again!

My only thought is that if people are happy to keep attending week on week then letā€™s keep going, but if people have stuff theyā€™d rather be doing instead then no one should feel obligated to keep on coming. I can well understand if Gwyndaf wants to trim down his meetup obligations since Iā€™m sure he must do 8 a week!

It would be a shame if an evening practice group stops because thereā€™s so few of them around - though lack of turn out does seem to indicate no oneā€™s that keen on a Tuesday evening Welsh meetup in Cwmbranā€¦

1 Like

It was great to see five people at our meet this evening especially as one of our regulars is on holiday this week and so obviously not able to come along as well.

That being said we would love to see more people come along and would welcome any ideas to occupy our group and promote discussion.

So if you are near us and would like to come along please do and share your welsh with us.

:+1:

2 Likes

My husband and myself were planning to come but we dysgu Cymraeg at Pontypool college and classes are now Monday and Tuesday evenings.

Hi Jacqui,

It is difficult to fit it all in but please do come when/if you can, as we started this group precisely for learners (after meeting Iestyn in Pontypool College) to have a chance to practice outside of the classroom, my wfe now has her class in Croesyceiliog on a Monday and I have mine in Abergaenny on a Wednesday evening.

We are a mixed group so donā€™t be shy :slightly_smiling_face: And we are happy to meet and chat with learners at any level.

Hope to see you soon,

John

1 Like

Hi John,

Thanks. Our class was originally meant to be on Wednesday but was changed due to lack of tutors. It may or may not go back to Wednesday, if it does we will definitely come along.

There is no meeting next week - 10th October.

For reasons best known to themselves, people would rather go to Pembrokeshire and Lanzarote than practice Welsh in a pub whose name still makes me cringe slightly when I say it out loud.

Weā€™re back on October 17th though!

tagging @garethjohnmills

1 Like

Do you mean 10th and 17th? You are still meeting on Tuesdays, arenā€™t you?

1 Like