Understanding the words in the introductory song

I can understand that he remembers him/her but there is a short something else that he says which I can’t catch. Can anyone enlighten me please.

Could you let me know which lessons you’re talking about? :slight_smile:

Coffi du?
It does sound like cofio ti, but I’m fairly certain it just means black coffee.

2 Likes

it does! oh, and Welcome, Croeso, to the Forum!

Youtube video with Welsh and English here.I’ve been known to sing the chorus while preparing the coffee in the morning.

1 Like

Good thought, John!

If it’s ‘Coffi du’, the clip we’ve got is ‘Coffi du, coffi du, tyrd â choffi du i mi’ - black coffee, black coffee, bring me a black coffee…:wink:

2 Likes

How wrong one can be ! Many thanks to everyone especially John for putting me right. I am on level 2 lesson 12 at the moment. Dylen i trio dweud pethau yn Nghymraeg nawr ond fy sillafu i ddim yn da iawn. Mae’r brawdeg ’ Do you think I should wait for them.’ neu ‘Rwyt ti’n meddwl ? dylen i aros amdani nhw.’ (efallai) sometimes seems to have a small word for ‘that’ inserted but I am not sure what it is or when it is needed.Any thoughts on this one please.

That’s ‘wyt ti’n meddwl’ (when it’s a question) and then ‘y dylwn i’… but the ‘y’ is a) technically correct and b) very often left out in ordinary speech…:slight_smile:

Gwela i, diolch yn fawr Aran.
Sheila

1 Like

Have just watched the video. Lovely amusing circular story.
Thanks
Sheila

Just seen this. It’s my fault the confusing little “y” going in sometimes, because it’s too insignificant to be introduced as a word or a specific thing “to be learnt”, but on the other hand, sometimes the rhythm of the sentence, or the meeting of two consonants just need it to be there, even if it’s not in the actual script.

One note as well, Aran is absolutely right that it should be “dylwn i”, but in the south we incorrectly say “dylen i”. This is the same for all the first person conditionals (bydden i, hoffen i etc), so don’t be confused by the w in writing or in other people’s speech.

Your sentence illustrated beautifully why we encourage people to become confident speakers before trying to write too much. If you said the line, exactly as written, you would make up the ? sound, and no-one would notice, and the r at the beginning would be fogotten in the tione of voice / context of asking a question. You obviously have the ability to make yourself understood with a pretty (grammatically) complicated sentence, which makes me think that you are a pretty good speaker. That’s what we hope to teach you to do, and da iawn ti for obviously doing that!

For the confident speaker, a couple of tiny little mis-haps in a written sentence make you think “Oh, that’s interesting, I’ve learnt something there about what happens underneath what I’m saying!”. For a newer, less confident speaker, there’s a good chance that the thought process will be more like “Oh, no, I don’t understand what’s happening there. Is it important? Will I ever get to grips with this language?”

In fact, this happens with from-birth speakers as well, and it’s why a lot of first language Welsh speakers won’t write Welsh. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the same mis-haps being written by a fisrt language speaker, which, I think, puts you in the category that you want to be in, and shows that your work is really paying off!

3 Likes