Use of negative mid sentence

Hi

I came across a couple challenges at the end of level two for which both make sense to me but i’m not sure why the first uses ‘na’ for the negative and ‘dim’ for the other. Is it because the first is past tense?

(Please excuse any typos)

Fyddet ti’n dweud wrthai nag oedd hi’n moyn mynd ar hyn or bryd yn fyddet

(That she didn’t want)

Fyddet ti’n dweud wrthai bo hi ddim yn ateb y cwestwn yn fyddet ti.

(That she didn’t answer)

Many thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

They are alternative methods of introducing a negative in the middle of a sentence.

So you could equally say…

…nag yw hi’n ateb…

You can optionally use ddim with nag ( which is nad in text books) creating something which is sort of half way!

So the usual applies - it is useful to know the options so they don’t throw you during conversations - but…

…you will probably have a preferred option yourself which you can stick to!

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Rich

Thanks for that. So its sounds natural to say either then ? I’ve been trying to construct my own phrases and got a bit stuck about which one to use there.

Andrew

1 Like

One of the most famous pieces of street art was painted on a wall just outside Bangor:-
“Nid yw Cymru ar werth”.
(Wales is not for sale)
And of course there’s the most famous song/hymn you could think of:-
“Nid wy’n gofyn bywyd moethus.”
(I don’t ask for a comfortable life)

3 Likes

…well, the first language speaker I have the most regular conversations with has said to me more than once that she feels that ‘nag/ nad’ is the most natural spoken Welsh (=good…to her) but you hear bod/ bo with ddim all the time on Radio Cymru…and see it in books etc.

…and experience tells me that someone else will tell you the same the other way round :smile: (by which I mean different regions often have different preferences)…

…which leads to the general advice with these types of things which is to ‘fall in’ with the standard of your area or even the person you are speaking with ( but they they will understand you either way).

I think the main thing is that if you are comfortable with the idea, then it won’t trip you up - as the two sound very different in speech.

SSIW is great for helping you avoid problems before you hit them! :wink:

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree. SSIW folk have been really helpful and it’s a source of info I can rely on. It’s also the fastest I’ve progressed in such a short period of time.

2 Likes

If @aran were here he’d blush…

Well credit where credit is due. He’s helping towards the gvt goal of 1 million speakers by 2050! I’d like to be one of them.

4 Likes