Use of ydy?

For a Welsh learner this has turned into a most informative thread. Diolch I bawb

4 Likes

And that’s clearly related to the well known Scottish idiom “the noo
”. :wink:

2 Likes

Can you help my aging memory? I thought I had read or heard that the above refered to numbers up to
 well, I couldn’t remember how many and I kept raising it as more and more seemed to be covered. Now, having met groups of 100 or more, I suspect the whole idea was imagination and any number up to infinity would still be gath or plentyn
 am I right? Oh and, remembering a certain song, adjectives like coch, as well as goch when female, also became cochion or gochion when many. Gwynion is another example. Is this only in literature and music?

Now there’s a sentence no one is likely to need in real life! :joy:
Either that or I was going so fast I missed it! :laughing:

7 Likes

After about pymtheg, some people will introduce the plural, but also with an of:

Saith ci - Seven dog
Un ar ugain o gƔn/Dauddeg un o gƔn - Twenty-one of dogs

It’s not compulsory, but it’s conventional and gives your Welsh a bit of polish.

One exception is children. The of business starts at two:

un plentyn
dau o blant

5 Likes

Should the object be after ‘un’?

So “un (whatever) ar hugain”.

As in “pum munud ar hugain wedi tri” for example.

1 Like

Just off the top of my head (i.e. disclaimer - I may be remembering incorrectly!), it’s “un (whatever) ar hugain” if you are using the traditional counting method (i.e. un ar hugain), but with an ‘o’ if you’re using the ‘modern’ counting method (i.e. dau ddeg un o gwn)

3 Likes

Mojito ydy’r mwya blasus :wink:

1 Like

Och aye
! :wink:

1 Like

All our memories are ageing, @henddraig :wink:

Above a certain number (opinions vary - look in a grammar book, there should be a good one around somewhere) the construction switches from [number + singular noun] to [number + o + plural noun]

So pedwar ceffyl four horses but deuddeg o geffylau twelve horses.

It’s all very confusing, I agree

2 Likes

Yes, even in my limited (mainly the radio) experience that is common. Mae’n pum munud ar hugain i chwech for: it’s twenty five to six.

1 Like

Yes, un ci ar ugain works, too. I would certainly say un ci ar ddeg ar ugain, but I haven’t a clue why I would say un ar ugain o gĆ”n. But I would. Just peronal preference, I suppose.

1 Like

Yes indeed. The language police years ago now tried to get rid of this system (too tricky for learners, see? - though I haven’t noticed any other language in the world patronising learners by changing its system of numerals to make it easier for them, have you?) by ‘replacing’ it with the decimalised system made up by Sergeant Clipboard, but I’m glad to say that the true system lives on, especially in things like time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It so much simpler in English - not :wink:

1 Like

Replacing numbers, like units, causes much dispute! When the SI (System International) did a major ‘update’ back when, the French were livid because the Curie was replaced by the Bequerel. There was some sense in objecting, the new unit was so tiny that MegaBq was about the commonest used! But the French were objecting for reasons nothing to do the Science and, in fairness, the Curie was based on an out-of-date measure of the activity in a gram of radium, as I recall! I pointed out to a sweet Fenchman that M. Bequerel was entirely French whereas the Curies were half Polish, and in fact it was Marie nee Sklodovska is by far the best known! The Americans just ignore all this and still use units like miles in scientific papers!

Fi pia’r mojito hwnnw
 :wink:

2 Likes

I think they’re right to, actually. I think the metric system is overrated.

There. I’ve said it! :slight_smile:

I’d prefer SM after that Fi, you know @aran. Subject, and all that

But one does hear it without as well in this phrase, so I wouldn’t go to war over it. Probably. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

and a proper Welsh mile should be 9000 paces each of 3 welsh feet (9000 cam or 27000 troedfedd) and a troedfedd should be about 9 inches not 12.

If we reintroduced Welsh miles 120km/hr would still be legal in a 20mph area (not suggesting that’s a good idea).

1 Like

Yes, @Toffidil!

And whatever you’re taking - keep taking it! :slight_smile:

4 Likes