Using BYDDAI

I am now on Level 1 Challenge 12 (Southern Welsh). It is getting more challenging but is still very exciting and dwin joio hin. I am currently a little confused over the use of BYDDAI. I know that BYDDAI FE means ‘he would’ and BYDDAI Hi is ‘she would’. Am I correct in using the following?

BYDDAI FE’N GYBOD BETH SUT I DDWEUD E - He would know how to say it

BYDDAI HI’N GYBOD BETH SUT I DDWEUD E - She would know how to say it

BYDDAI DYN IFANC YN GYBOD BETH SUT I DDWEUD E - The young man would know how to say it

BYDDAI MENWY IFANC YN GYBOD BETH SUT I DDWEUD E - The young woman would know how to say it

Well done - very close! :slight_smile:

Just a couple of tweaks - and not to do with byddai (you got that sorted, no problem!):
BYDDAI FE’N GYBOD BETH SUT I DDWEUD E
BYDDAI HI’N GYBOD BETH SUT I DDWEUD E
You don’t need the ‘BETH’ in these (gwbod beth = to know what, gwbod sut = to know how)

BYDDAI DYN IFANC YN GYBOD BETH SUT I DDWEUD E
BYDDAI MENWY IFANC YN GYBOD BETH SUT I DDWEUD E
Because you are saying THE young man/woman, you need a ‘the’ in there - y dyn ifanc/y fenyw ifanc, but after a vowel, the y becomes 'r, so “Byddai’r dyn ifanc / Byddai’r fenyw ifanc”

Da iawn! :slight_smile:

Hi Sharon. Thanks for your speedy response. Of course, how silly of my to use BETH with SUT. Also thanks for tip on the use of THE after BYDDAI.

Can you please tell me how to say:

“They would know how to say it”

Also - how is “should” used (as in “he should” etc)

Diolch

Bydden nhw’n gwbod sut i dweud e :slight_smile:

This is used in much the same way as ‘would’ in that the endings are the same, just attached to the stem dyl- instead of the stem bydd-
dylwn i - I should
dylet ti - you should
dylai fe/fo/hi - he/she should
dylech chi - you should
dylen ni - we should
dylen nhw - they should
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch yn Fawr Siaron. Thanks for your help

1 Like

Can you please help with the following (Southern Welsh)

I WOULD - is it byddai fi?

YOU WOULD - is it byddai ti/chi?

WE WOULD - is it byddai ni?

MY FRIEND WOULD

MY BROTHER WOULD

MY SISTER WOULD

Sure, here we go -

I WOULD - Byddwn i (but you may also come across “Byswn i” which can shorten in speech to " 'swn i")

YOU WOULD - Byddet ti (but you may also come across “Byset ti” which can shorten in speech to " 'set ti")

WE WOULD - Bydden ni (but you may also come across “Bysen ni” which can shorten in speech to " 'sen ni")

MY FRIEND WOULD - Byddai fy ffrind (but you may also come across “Bysai fy ffrind” which can shorten in speech to " 'sai fy ffrind")

MY BROTHER WOULD - Byddai fy mrawd (but you may also come across “Bysai fy mrawd” which can shorten in speech to " 'sai fy mrawd")

MY SISTER WOULD - Byddai fy chwaer (but you may also come across “Bysai fy chwaer” which can shorten in speech to " 'sai fy chwaer")

Don’t be put off by the alternatives - stick with the way you’re most comfortable with, but just be aware that other people will use them!)
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch siaron. My saviour again. You really are a big help

1 Like