Using the word "Off"

I have been wondering this too . I tend to say “diwrod i ffwrdd” or just simply “dwi’n off fory” as this is what I seem to hear most . But I tend to dodge around it a bit too by saying something like “dwi ddim wedi bod yn gweithio heddiw” when I wanted to say “I’ve had the day off today”

3 Likes

All of what you’re saying is fine - you could also add 'dwi ‘di cael y diwrnod i ffwrdd heddiw’ and suchlike patterns… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch Aran :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I only just saw this thread! My first reaction, about kettles, is that when Welsh was evolving kettles were on or off the fire, hearth, stove. You couldn’t turn one off! You had to remove it! (tynnu).
Days off? Well, back when, there were only holidays (originally holy days!). So can we use gwyliau? Not really Gwyl is a bit specific now, isn’t it @aran? But diwrnod i ffwrdd or amser i ffwrdd seems to,answer that one!

1 Like

Occasionally Gweiadur will have a complete English phrase ready translated:

http://www.gweiadur.com/en/Pawb/day%20off

cadw gŵyl bentan

Doing the reverse lookup:

http://www.gweiadur.com/en/Pawb/cadw%20gŵyl%20bentan

cadw gŵyl bentan
cymryd diwrnod o wyliau - to have a day off

(I also tried “to have it off”, but, perhaps fortunately, Gweiadur is much too respectable for that sort of thing :wink: ).

3 Likes

What about use of the word “on” ?
If I was to say for example , " put your coat on" I would say , "rhoi dy got ar " but somehow this doesn’t quite sound right .

My girlfriend says - rhoi ymlaen dy gôt

Also, something I’ve learnt which has helped with listening to the radio is:

If a sentence ends with ar, am, at, yn, i (could well be others I can’t think of) they change. For example using “hi”:

Arni
Amdani
Ati
Ynddi
Iddi

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch that sounds a lot better , thanks for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, ymlaen is what I’ve heard (therefore use). If you are taking your coat off though, you would tynnu it (I sometimes use dadwisgo for a complete strip ready for a shower or something but not sure how much people use it outside my house … our of course just tynnu dillad (with the relevant conjugation of course :wink:)).

2 Likes

Rho dy got amdanat - or gwisga dy got - something like that… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why would that not be “Rho dy got amdanati” @Aran?

(Not really wishing to get into grammar mode, but “amdanati” (however correctly spelled) seems to be drummed into my brain from Course 1/Course 2, or thereabouts, and I thought it would fit nicely here).

It’s amdanat ti - if you’ve said the first word, then the second is implied. It’s like how with “dy got”, the “di” at the end is implied so there’s not really any need to say it.

1 Like

Reit, digon teg.

I think it’s just that with the old Courses, that “am danat ti” became thoroughly ingrained in my brain, and not just the words, but the rhythm, so without the “ti”, it doesn’t quite feel complete to me.

(That was one of the things I noticed about the SSiW - for me anyway, the rhythm of the language was a big part of it).

However, on those courses, the use of “danat ti” didn’t occur (as far as I remember) with sentences like “Rho dy got am-”

Curious, because I had sussed out that in things like “iddi hi”, the “hi” could be left off, but I had never thought of doing it with “am danat ti”. (never knew the spelling because I never looked at the notes…one teensy disadvantage of doing it 100% aurally).

3 Likes