Verbs more often used with short form past tense

Hello the forum. I remember reading a helpful post a while back which mentioned that some verbs are more commonly used in the short (conjugated) preterite form than in the compound gwneud form. (The list possibly included dweud, mynd, dod & gweld.) I have done much searching but have been unable to find the post again. In conversation I tend to lazily reach for gwneud most of the time and I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to when it’s better to go for the short form. Sorry if I’m retreading old ground here.

This got lost down the list, sorry no-one answered.

Here’s a list from one of my dictionaries, note the present also works for future.

As to when it’s better to go for these over gwneud (I guess you mean “wnes i weld” vs “weles i”?) is totally up to you. Have fun. :wink:

1 Like

Oh thanks @gruntius - I’d pretty much given up on that one! Yes my question was to do with “wnes i weld” vs “weles i”. I realise that they both mean exactly the same but I got the feeling that people tend to say for example “ddudodd hi” more than “naeth hi ddeud”, & wondered if there were other verbs like that. Also I find myself saying “wnes i fynd” where “es i” is probably more straightforward, or even the redundant-sounding “wnes i wneud” instead of simply “wnes i”! I realise I’m probably over-thinking the whole thing & should just try to practice using both forms.

And I’m not going near the “mi ddaru” formation for now…!

2 Likes

Just a hint - Regarding “wnes i wneud”, some people aren’t keen on us using the same verb twice. However, some other people do do it :smiley:

1 Like

:grin: