Very sad :(

May I let you into a secret? I am now a fully-fledged fluent Welsh speaker: I live as much as my life as I can through the medium of Welsh, do my job in Welsh, etc., etc. The only people I still have any trouble understanding are… farmers! (No offence intended to any farmer reading this! It’s my problem, not yours, and I’m working on it!)

And I still don’t much enjoy speaking on the phone (which I have to do a fair amount of in my job now). So: speaking on the phone to a Welsh farmer is about the toughest challenge there is, in my book! And you started there? Wow. Really impressed - good for you. Honestly, it can only get easier!

14 Likes

Thank you :blush: I haven’t seen him since (hoping this is just a coincidence!!) but when I do I will let him know that I’ve been learning for about a month, I need to practice more and I’d like to speak Welsh with him :joy: and then ask him to translate his reply! Thanks everyone for the kind words.

6 Likes

I’ve read once by one farmer I follow on twitter that farmers actually kind of have their special dialect which is really hard to understand and that sometimes even fluent Welsh speakers have troubles to understand so you @sarah-holtom actually started at the deep end in deed. You took the hardest challenge so there’s no need to feel discouraged or sad! Do you have any sparkled wine in the house or something with what you could give yourself a toast! Open the thingy and give chiers to yourself :wine_glass:! Even starting conversation no matter how much could you produce was your victory!

Da iawn ti!

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

2 Likes