Vespa-like scooters in Wales?

Well, there are fun cars as well…and someone has already mentioned a cinquecento (or is it a centecinquo? :wink: ).

…but for practical, in Wales, you probably really need a Land Rover. :wink:
(might even get a job on a farm, and make the holiday pay for itself). :slight_smile:
]

1 Like

I’m not really an expert but I guess this is what @Tricia was suggesting?
Do you think I could add a kit on my bike?
(I also have a rack now)
So I could go…a bit of Italian scooter, a bit of British bicycle? :slight_smile:

You mean old cinquecento? That’s cool and funny, but I don’t know how to change gear on that! :smile:
Gosh, a Land Rover is huge!

By the way I remember a lot of sentences in Duolingo involving working in a farm. They would come in handy…if only I could remember any!

1 Like

Even though it doesnt look it, the Landrover (go iawn) isnt all that big, compared to the average bloated car of today.

Also, I took my little Citroen over some very neglected mountain passes this year and it kept grounding on the uneven surface. So perhaps a scooter might be better after all. :thinking:. I used to do a lot of touring on my little BSA Bantam and cant remember it ever grounding, although it did take off a couple of times.

1 Like

Oh that’s absolutely true. The classic LR is probably as big as the current 500L (larger version of the new cinquecento)!!! :smiley:

What does grounding mean?
BSA Bantam was the one you had before the Norton?

I love the idea of a scooter tour, but based on the time when I was doing a lot of driving around Wales due to a long commute and having to fetch the children to and from university in Cardiff, my concerns would be a) a scooter is rather underpowered for Welsh roads and b) safety. You’ll be smaller and slower than anything else on the road apart from bikes. Due to the lack of passing places, you’re likely to spend a lot of time with an impatient motorist right behind and possibly overtaking very close.

On the plus side, it’s a lovely theme for a tour, you won’t be reliant on erratic buses and non-existent trains.

Speaking personally, and bearing in mind having to carry luggage, maps, books, possibly a laptop, etc. and the Welsh weather, I would go for a small cute car. Though not pink!

3 Likes

Ah, sorry. To ground a vehicle is borrowed from sailing language. So, when a part of the vehicle (that’s not supposed to) makes contact with the ground. Slightly confusing as it has other related meanings such as “Well founded/rooted” and to knock someone to the ground. I think the same problem occurs in Welsh. I’m not sure if the Welsh would be “beisio” or “llorio” or both.

My first motorcycle was a Bantam, so I have a soft spot for any British type vehicle. I’m including Italian, etc in this. Just as long as it has a tendency to break down a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Margaret, I do appreciate your concern. :slight_smile:

Well for luggage…my grandfather used to take my mom on holiday to the seaside - including going up and down a mountain about the height of the Pen y Fan - on a Vespa, with all the camping equipment to sleep and eat, and a bunch of clothes. I always think…if they could do it, I can do it! :wink:

Sure the traffic is way different now, and the weather here different than Wales.
But still…dealing with other motorists would be more or less like in Italy, except…Welsh drivers are way more respectful and patient (even though they go crazy fast on small roads, and it may not appear so, if you didn’t have the chance to go around much over here lately). :smiley:

Anyway I enjoy considering all the options before deciding, so thank you and everybody for sharing their thoughts! :slight_smile:
p.s. of course this considering travelling on my own, not specifically for the TV!

2 Likes

When I was a teenager I used to go to ballet lessons pillion on my fathers Vespa. He used to travel all around mid Wales on it, up hill and down dale.

3 Likes

Sorry, I forgot to mention:
All you “petrol heads” are going to love the Advanced Content Sgwrs with Trystan Lewis. :tractor::wrench:

2 Likes

I think a pedalec is what @Tricia meant. The pedals it the wheel gives you about 250W if assistance while your pedalling. That are conversation kits available to make a “normal” bike into a pedalec but I have no idea if the cost. I know it involves a battery bag in the handlebars, some controls and a new wheel to replace your front wheel. I’d suggest you will need a bike with a front brake for that sort of conversion!
I think her other idea if getting lifts from SSiW learners is a brilliant suggestion. When I cycled to the Eisteddfod last August I had help from someone very kind SSiW learners and met up with lots fir a panad and scwrs. They are a very special group to me and make you believe in the kindness of strangers; but strangers no longer!

3 Likes

That kind of bike is exactly what I mean @Gog @gisella-albertini. Some friends have got them, they love cycling and it enables them to go where otherwise they wouldn’t. . You could have some panniers on the bike and that would save you having to carry. The conversion kit sounds a good possibility.
If not possible I’m sure there will be lots of hosts for the relay lift idea I suggested.
Both would make interesting book or television material methinks.

2 Likes

Yes, @Gog and @Tricia, I think the pedalec is an interesting solution, too - especially for visiting specific areas more in depth, I would think.

Unless it’s such small areas (like parks maybe?) that can be visited in a couple of days and at that point I’d rather rent a regular bicycle and do a short trip without all the luggage.

As for getting lifts…oh, I know there’s a lot of nice people in Wales. :heart_eyes: in fact that’s how I got around so far: buses and trains but also a lot of lifts from SSiWers and from people I met outside this forum. That’s great, I love it! :slight_smile:
But in some kind of trips it may get complicated to organize, so I prefer to have an idea of the extra options.

3 Likes

Also, you probably know already:
Traws Cymru (long distance bus service in Wales) is free on weekends.

Ignore the bit about concessionary passes - it relates to specific bus pass schemes.

http://www.trawscymru.info/free-travel-on-weekends-1/

3 Likes

What about one of these?

1 Like

I never knew that and I live here.

1 Like

Go figure. I spent in Wales about a week in all my life and I took advantage of the free Traws Cymru already! :smiley:
(so definitely a good tip, @JohnYoung!)

I wonder if they sold more than 10 Sinclair C5 to family and close friends! :no_mouth:
Not sure I’m going to include it in my options! :smiley:

1 Like

A museum in Swansea has two, not sure where the other eight are. I remember waiting for the launch for these - they had built it up for months as the greatest revolution in motoring and then they did the reveal. Oh…

2 Likes

maybe something a bit more traditional?

Some of our rugby players have also been known to prefer to go down this same motorway in Golf Buggies - another option?

2 Likes

I should get a scooter chauffeur and ride sidesaddle! :laughing:

Dim o gwbl / Not at all. You appeared to have missed this in my post: :smile:

I assume that you’d be driving with “un bello ragazzo” riding sidesaddle in the back. :smile:

I wouldn’t think of you as a Katana kinda guy…in fact?!

Believe it or not I used to be even cooler than I am now. :laughing:
When I turned up for my first date with Maureen in 1978 (who never stood me up, BTW) on my Honda CX500 ( a lovely shaft drive machine), she recalls being very taken as I stripped out of my Belstaff gear revealing a lime green safari suit (probably with flared trousers). We were married 11 weeks later (and still are)!

If you need further evidence, here I am in front of our home on my Suzy Katana with la mia bella ragazza on the back (but not sitting sidesaddle). :laughing:

7 Likes